• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA writeup completed

very nice write up! Props... very clean well thought out setup. OBA is my next mod... cept I'm gonna mount it under the hood. Planning on putting a small sub where you mounted yout compressor. Like to be functional on the trail... yet pimp it hard on the road...oh ya!

Nice writup, nice clean install. Placement is very similar to mine.

If you aren't using air lockers you can simplify the system quite a bit because you don't need to plumb it for the ARB solenoids, you don't really need to be concerned about water so delete the dessicant air dryer, and you can run a higher pressure switch (up to 150 psi). Or don't run a pressure switch at all - just keep a relief valve on your air tank set at just under 150 psi in case you get distracted and forget to shut the compressor off.

I think Talyn is refering to a safety valve or relief valve.

A check valve allows the air to flow in one direction only. Should the pressure past the valve build up for whatever reason, it cannot flow back to the compressor and damage it. The Viair compressors are rated for 150 max psi (as are many other compressors) so the check valve is there to protect the compressor when pressures reach close to that point in the lines.

I can see how not having a check valve could be a valid issue. My air tank is mounted fairly close to the exhaust underneath the Jeep. After my pressure valve shuts the compressor off at 105 psi, I can actually have the pressure in the system continue to rise slightly due to the heat from the exhaust. This isn't a concern at all for me at the pressures I run, in fact I kind of like it... but if I was using a pressure switch that shut off at 150 psi, an increase in pressure beyond that could damage the compressor if a check valve was not there. However, even with the check valve, if you have 150+ psi in your system, it might still damage the compressor if you could turn it on and try to push more air into the system as the compressor would need to operate at a higher psi than what is in the system in order to push more air in.

Last edited:
jwtrapper said:
Uh....
The Check valve is just a one way valve so that the air does not bleed back off through your compressor. If your not going to use a tank you dont need one.
It serves another, more important purpose.
It allows the compressor to start up without a load on it.
That greatly cuts down wear.
All good pressure switches even have a blow off valve to aid this.
Just before the pressure switch starts up the compressor it opens this valve.
You run a line from the valve to the compressor pressure line, in front of the check valve. That relieves any pressure on the compressor.

Back