• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going topless!!!

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally got up the nerve to cut the top of my XJ off. I've seen many pictures of XJs with the roof cut off behind the back doors and i need some help with getting there. I've done body work in the past and I have a buddy who is willing, more like excited, to cut the roof where the back window starts and the back risers where the hatch is. That's the easy part. I'm also in the process of building an internal rollcage which should be done this weekend. My question is, that since this is a uni-body, what kind of braces or support do I need to add to keep the strength of the body so it doesn't twist and not go back to where it's supposed to be when I articulate? I know that the roll cage will keep it from getting completely mangled if I roll, but will it keep the body from twisting. The roll cage is an 8 point that connects to the floorboards by the driver and passenger feet, in between the front and back door at the floor, right behind the back door on the wheel well, and in the back between the tail lights on the floor. Everything is connected to each other and the bars that come down from behind the back doors to the back of the cargo area are crossed and have a tire carrier in the center. Will this be sufficient support, or will I need to add more to the body? If anyone that has gone topless like this before has any pictures or blueprint type material on doing this, please send it to [email protected]. I appreciate any help I can get on this.

if pictures are worth a 1000 words to you, xjdb.com has a bunch if you plug in the right keywords.

I would suggest doing an exhaustive search here.

you'll come up with more info that way, since its been discussed so much, some folks are not replying to these things like they used to.

Triangles are your friend. I have a bunch of pics of mine, but look at the ones at the link Beezil suggested, there are folkes who did a MUCH better job.

Rev

I checked out XJDB.com and they had plenty of pictures, but all of these seemed really extreme and high budget. I was just wondering if I needed to support the body any and all the Xjs at this site had full cages with major work done to them.

robert stalberger said:
I checked out XJDB.com and they had plenty of pictures, but all of these seemed really extreme and high budget. I was just wondering if I needed to support the body any and all the Xjs at this site had full cages with major work done to them.

EXACTLLY. It IS major work to remove the top of an XJ. You MUST replace the structure you remove. One way to do this is with a full cage, tie it into the body at key points. A few points are, shoulder harness attachments, top of windshield frame, door pillars, etc. My cage is tied to my body wherever it gets close, the cage and the body do NOT flex independantly.

HTH

Rev

I know this is major work and I never doubted that. I'm glad that your so proud of the job you did and your the type I was directing my questions toward. I am putting in a full cage, as mentioned, and what I was asking was where to tie into the body for support. Thanks for the info.

And sorry for posting this thread since it's been beat into the ground so much.

robert stalberger said:
I know this is major work and I never doubted that. I'm glad that your so proud of the job you did and your the type I was directing my questions toward. I am putting in a full cage, as mentioned, and what I was asking was where to tie into the body for support. Thanks for the info.

i don't think you need to ask.

you seem pretty confident and seem to know what you are getting into.

because of that, I would say that once you begin the project, you'll have a chance to study the structure and you'll be able to "feel" (use the force) where things need to go. Once you get things chopped out of the way, it'll pretty much be obvious what needs to happen next.

fabbing skills and common sense are a must.

Thanks Beezil. Update later and tell everyone how it's going.

Back