• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble seating rear leaf

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so the lift install has been a little tedious. THe worst part is the nearest auto part store is over 40 minutes away. I got the rear leaf and shackle bolted loosely on the XJ. I could not get the leaf to seat in the spring perch even though the hole is big enough to fit the spring bolt. THe axle seems to far back relative to the springs. I have been slowly tightening the ubolts while raising and lowering the axle to tension and release the springs. It is still 1.5 inches too far back for the spring to seat and I'm afraid I will snap one of the ubolts, tips?

Remember that hand winch I've been telling you to get? Now you have experienced reason #1 (there are more reasons on the way when you do the front end :D).

Put on a set of heavy boots and kick the thing forward until it lines up (kick while sitting down, with the heel of the boot, and not sitting under the vehicle in any way). If it won't move, you may need to loosen the u-bolts on the other side first. Once you have it lined up fore/aft, if it doesn't line up side to side, raise the axle until there is a minimum amount of load on the spring, and then kick the spring until it pops in. Don't be gentle.

I'm guessing you still have the stock leaf bolted up on the other side, which is locating the axle to the rear of the new spring. You're gonna have to unload that side if this is the case, because you'll never be able to move the axle without additional leverage.

Nay

SO jacking up the "frame" on the opposite side should do the trick? Should I loosen the spring or ubolts on the other side or is just unloading it enough?

braeden said:
SO jacking up the "frame" on the opposite side should do the trick? Should I loosen the spring or ubolts on the other side or is just unloading it enough?

Try unloading the other side slowly. That will bring the axle foward (you may still have to "assist" the disconnected side a bit. Trial and error, but it may work. Of course, you have to take the other side off anyway, so no harm in getting a head start.

Nay

Definitely loosen the far side - the near side will move fore-aft much more easily after that.

You said the spring pin won't fit in the perch? You did drill it out, didn't you? It's only 1/16" difference between the stock 5/16" and the RE 3/8" pin, but it's enough that it looks like it will fit. (Trust me, I found this out the hard way)

Edited to add:Dave - that
has got to be one of the more disturbing images to grace my screen recently. I'm not sure why; maybe it's the fact that it is so 'cute' that it has to be evil, but it is. Odd.

OK, other side resting on frame, wheel of axle floating, u-bolts loosened.
Closer, stil a ways to go. Man, kicking a car on jackstands is exciting.

Yucca-Man said:
Edited to add:Dave - that
has got to be one of the more disturbing images to grace my screen recently. I'm not sure why; maybe it's the fact that it is so 'cute' that it has to be evil, but it is. Odd.

Better?

Use a combination of the jack with slight pressure on it, and a big hammer on the spring perch on the axle. And yeah, it's scary with it jacked up, make sure you have safety precautions in place (i.e. jack stands).

You DID remove the driveshaft, didn't you?

There shouldn't be anything preventing you from getting the axle lined up with the springs. If you are having to force it, something's not right.

I got in eventually, mine was a 1/2 inch bult, but the spring perch was already at .5 inch diameter, no drilling needed. It just took some "finessing" as the driveshaft was connected. Thanks all.

Back