• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35c and abs brakes

swoop

NAXJA Forum User
well i was driving down the freeway and 65 through yakima washington, right near the big rock crawling competition that i didnt even know about, untill i had to get a hotel room in town and found most were full. anyway apparently a pin in the spider gears broke and my right rear wheel with axle shaft attached decided to remove itself from the vehicle. noone was hurt i had slowed and taken an exit when i heard the loud noise and lost power.

ok heres the question, i have a bad dana 35c in my '90 lmtd and a spare in my totaled '88, with the '90 it has the abs brakes, the '88 does not. can i somehow disable the abs after i put the axle in the '90 or it not feasable at all?
i was just going to swap the entire axles all together... or should i just pull the axle shafts and gears out of the '88 and keep the same housing that the '90 allready has? now because the wheel came off while driving the brakes draged on the asphalt for a good 50 feet. being that the jeep is in yakima and i had to catch a greyhoud to get to work 4 hours away, i have not looked at the '90s axle. so what should my plan of action be? any advice is much appreciated thanks!

one more question both axles should have 3.55 gears is that correct?

swoop said:
well i was driving down the freeway and 65 through yakima washington, right near the big rock crawling competition that i didnt even know about, untill i had to get a hotel room in town and found most were full. anyway apparently a pin in the spider gears broke and my right rear wheel with axle shaft attached decided to remove itself from the vehicle. noone was hurt i had slowed and taken an exit when i heard the loud noise and lost power.

ok heres the question, i have a bad dana 35c in my '90 lmtd and a spare in my totaled '88, with the '90 it has the abs brakes, the '88 does not. can i somehow disable the abs after i put the axle in the '90 or it not feasable at all?
i was just going to swap the entire axles all together... or should i just pull the axle shafts and gears out of the '88 and keep the same housing that the '90 allready has? now because the wheel came off while driving the brakes draged on the asphalt for a good 50 feet. being that the jeep is in yakima and i had to catch a greyhoud to get to work 4 hours away, i have not looked at the '90s axle. so what should my plan of action be? any advice is much appreciated thanks!

one more question both axles should have 3.55 gears is that correct?

If you got the Bendix system you'd best take advice from someone w/ that system. The Tevis ABS found on 92 and up Jeeps can be disabled by pulling fuses and the relay.

Most stock XJ run 3.55 gears, but there have been some odd balls, count teeth to be sure...... or set up your new axle and disco the front shaft to be on the safe side while driving home.

Regards,
Chewy

Yes, you can disable the ABS by pulling the ABS fuse located under the dash with the bendix system. I had to do this with my 1991 XJ to make it home because some moron mechanic at the Jeep dealer in Louisiana couldn't gap the new sensor correctly, even thought all you had to do with the new sensor was push it up agains the tone ring and tighten the bolt.

If you would like to keep your ABS you can have a shop press the tone ring off the old axle shaft and onto the new one.

-Chris

The 90 D35 is a c-clip axle, which is why the wheel tried to depart from the vehicle. The 88 is a non c-clip axle. There's more involved than just swapping the tone rings -- basically, you can't use the 88 axles in the 90 housing. You would be better off in the long term to swap in the entire 88 axle assembly and completely remove the ABS system. Look for a post from Bones about a year ago explaining both why, and how.

Eagle said:
The 90 D35 is a c-clip axle, which is why the wheel tried to depart from the vehicle. The 88 is a non c-clip axle. There's more involved than just swapping the tone rings -- basically, you can't use the 88 axles in the 90 housing. You would be better off in the long term to swap in the entire 88 axle assembly and completely remove the ABS system. Look for a post from Bones about a year ago explaining both why, and how.

yeah I had though the said that the 88 was a c-clip as well. Didn't know th3 cut off year for that.

-Chris

thanks guys for your responses, so it looks like all i have to do is completly swap axles, housing and all and pull the abs fuse, will the brakes be good to go like that forever? i plan to sell or trade in this jeep in the next few months...

Back