• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odo says, "no bu5"...?

VtXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Sport, 4WD, 4Dr. I was driving down the road doing 45MPH the other day and the TACH and Speedo both go to zero, the Airbag and check engine dummy lights come on and the Odometer numbers go away and "no bu5" comes up where it just was saying 38756. The engine never missed a lick... just kept right on like nothing was going on. About a mile down the road everything went back to normal. Anybody got a clue what happened? And what is no bu5? VtXJ.

the connector on the right side just behind the cluster needs to be replaced. i have replied to other post on this subject, if you check for details. cleaning the connector only solves the problem temporarily. dont waste your time. do it right the first time and save yourself the aggrevation of having to do it again.

pull the gauge cluster out and clan the contacts at the connector a friend of mine had the same problem with his tj

that message means that the vehicle has lost the "bus". The bus is the communication system that the vehicle uses so that each module can communicate with one another without a whole bunch of wires. The cluster, overhead console, door module, power seat module, trans controller, body controller, and engine controller all communicate through the bus (among other modules). for example if the pcm wanted to know vehicle speed it just reads that information off of the bus, instead of having to be hardwired from the pcm to the output speed sensor, the trans controller puts that info on the bus. If you have lost communication on the bus it is caused by an open circuit in any one of those modules. My reccomendation is not to throw a part at it hoping to fix it with the most common failing part, but to hook up a scan tool and verify the module causing the problem.

eighty1toyota said:
that message means that the vehicle has lost the "bus". The bus is the communication system that the vehicle uses so that each module can communicate with one another without a whole bunch of wires. The cluster, overhead console, door module, power seat module, trans controller, body controller, and engine controller all communicate through the bus (among other modules). for example if the pcm wanted to know vehicle speed it just reads that information off of the bus, instead of having to be hardwired from the pcm to the output speed sensor, the trans controller puts that info on the bus. If you have lost communication on the bus it is caused by an open circuit in any one of those modules. My reccomendation is not to throw a part at it hoping to fix it with the most common failing part, but to hook up a scan tool and verify the module causing the problem.

i dont know what you do for a living, but hooking up a scan tool wont fix the problem. i am a factory trained jeep tech. i know how to fix this problem. i have done it plenty of times for the guys that just clean the contacts and hope it fixes it.

jneary said:
i dont know what you do for a living, but hooking up a scan tool wont fix the problem. i am a factory trained jeep tech. i know how to fix this problem. i have done it plenty of times for the guys that just clean the contacts and hope it fixes it.

I must apoligize, I misread the first post, speciffically about the loss of speedo and tach, I thought that you were suggesting a cluster would fix any problem related to a loss of bus communication. Now I agree with what you are saying.

Last edited:
this isnt any chrysler product. no bus means the cluster isnt communicating with the other modules. there is a tsb that describes this problem. it would be a waste of time to patch the problem like others have posted in the past. the correct procedure for this problem is to replace the connector behind the cluster. working in a JEEP dealer we have done this plenty of times and corrected the problem properly the first time.

Back