• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 oil slinger

Jeep1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How important is the oil slinger in a d30 front end? A buddy of mine said he would install my 4.10 gears and tru trac. Since he is a mechanic at a local dealer ship (not Jeep) I figured why not. Now that I have my xj back, he gave me the old r/p. The pinion still has the slinger on it, and he said he didnt put it back in the axle.
Will I mess up the bearings/trutrac/r&p if the slinger isnt installed?
Thx.

I would definately get it back in there. He would have had to make up the difference with shims so it should be a pretty easy job. The slinger slows the oil flow back from the pinion bearings too so I would keep it there.

Like Lincon said,get it back in.Included in the shim kit with the gears we installed was a smaller verson(diam) of the slinger but we reused the larger one.
Wayne

Jeep1XJ said:
How important is the oil slinger in a d30 front end? A buddy of mine said he would install my 4.10 gears and tru trac. Since he is a mechanic at a local dealer ship (not Jeep) I figured why not. Now that I have my xj back, he gave me the old r/p. The pinion still has the slinger on it, and he said he didnt put it back in the axle.
Will I mess up the bearings/trutrac/r&p if the slinger isnt installed?
Thx.

I didn't put it in mine. PM RawBrown, he''ll tell how many D30's he has done with out the front oil slinger.

It's not really needed. You just have to use the same thickness of the slinger in shims, like he did.

-Mike

Back