• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel drive

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've got one vehicle, and it needs a driveshaft cut down.

I'm strongly considering driving to the driveline shop, dropping the driveshaft, and driving in front wheel drive (231 case) until I get the driveshaft back.

I'm open/spool and my front is a disco 30 that is now connected full time. Is it safe to drive at freeway speeds (N.M.T. 65 MPH) in 4Hi?

Thanks. Phil

that is true if he doesn't have an SYE, but he can probably seal it enough to be fine with a 20oz. coke bottle and duct tape.

Phil, I would think you'd be fine, just don't get too throttle happy and be aware it may handle a little funny on the freeway so take it slow and give yourself lots of room. I'd imagine the D30 won't really like pulling that spooled 44 around tight turns, but you could always put lots of air (35psi or so) in the rear tires so that there is less friction.

BrettM said:
that is true if he doesn't have an SYE, but he can probably seal it enough to be fine with a 20oz. coke bottle and duct tape.

I'd imagine the D30 won't really like pulling that spooled 44 around tight turns, but you could always put lots of air (35psi or so) in the rear tires so that there is less friction.

That's what I did, allthough, I have an LSD, no spool. It worked ok...but be wary of un-banked turns at speed...the ass end will tug you around a bit.
like was said earlier, go light with the right foot, and remember that the d30 isn't meant to pull the vehicle wieght. (just because it's front drive doesn't make it a stealth.)

Ok thanks.

For anyone who knows the area, I'll be going from West Sac to Davis, and unless I can bum a ride, Davis back to West Sac later in the day. I can take the frontage road on the Davis side of the river, so I should just be on the freeway from the causeway to Reed Ave or so.

You shouldnt have a problem so long as everything is in good working condition and you have a SYE. I ran with only the front for about 3 weeks in my XJ after I installed my SYE and was waiting for my rear drive shaft. It will have torque steer or the pulling that others have described. Drive a little to get used to it and you shouldnt have a problem. As for being easy on it, I abused the crap out of mine just to see what it would hold up to :explosion It lasted 3 weeks of full throttle attacks on the street with no problems other than traction in first gear was useless, second would catch but you had to feather the gas and it would chirp shifting into 3rd and this was with stock 260x U joints and my built motor. I had another Dana 30 housing in my garage that had 4.10s, a lockrite, upgraded steering, etc waiting to go in so thats how I justified flogging the beast:D

AARON

I went for about 3 weeks in front wheel drive. It has like no traction at all there were some good smoke shows.

Back