• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Rail Protection

Huy V. Le

NAXJA Forum User
A few week ago, the stock transfer case skid plate rip off from the frame and the cross member of my 2000 XJ.

While looking to build a new skid plate, I found out that the frame rail is also bent.

So I'm thinking to also protect the frame rail. I'm thinking to bolt a channel over the rail and than bolt the cross member, skids and rocker protection on it.

I don't want to make it to stiff, because I guess it has to flex a little bit otherwise the rail itself could rip off.

Anyone, had done such protection before?

Thanks,

Vieto

Last edited:
Lots of people. Literally, tons. Hasta Click the search button while in Modified Tech Forum, and type in something like "frame sleeving" or "frame boxing" or "frame stiffening". There are a lot of good ideas out there and it really depends on the severity of your XJ's future. Which, if you ripped off one skid plate...it's probably going to be a good ride!

In the future, I would try to figure out how exactly you managed to ripf off a skid plate and A) Avoid such maneuvering or B) Get better protection. Maybe both.

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
Lots of people. Literally, tons. Click the search button while in Modified Tech Forum, and type in something like "frame sleeving" or "frame boxing" or "frame stiffening". There are a lot of good ideas out there and it really depends on the severity of your XJ's future. Which, if you ripped off one skid plate...it's probably going to be a good ride!

Yes, I did a search, I guess what I really wanted to know is to share their experience, on how the Jeep feel after. Did they make it too stiff? What problem they found after building their frame rail protection?, etc.

Colorado_XJ said:
In the future, I would try to figure out how exactly you managed to ripf off a skid plate and A) Avoid such maneuvering or B) Get better protection. Maybe both.

Couldn't avoid the obstacle the trail was too narrow!

Better protection was the problem! The stock skid plate is hold with nuts. The skid itself is not damage. It is the nuts in the frame rail and in the cross member that pop because the wall is too thin!!!

Thanks,

Vieto

Last edited:
I sleeved mine in the middle and am now in the process of going all the way back to the rear bumper. Too stiff? I don't think so. It rides, handles, and corners better than it ever has. And I have a good platform to attach everything to now.

I did a small writeup that's NOT in the members section: :shhh:

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/frame.bracing.htm

IMG_4451.jpg

Chassis can never be too stiff! You want the suspension to do all the flexing.

Ladder frame rigs twist more and it makes them more likely to roll over. Watch them closely next time you see them on the trail

Back