• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration

Mike Mettlach

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a 3" lift on my 98' XJ. The kit included an add a leaf in the rear and taller coils in front. I have a slight vibration occuring (that wasn't their before) upon acceleration and de-acceleration. Any suggestions on a fix?

Try 4 degree shims under the leafs, and maybe the 1" tcase drop kit, that helped me but my 3.5 actually raised mine 5".

T-case drop might work; it could be spring wrap though. Was it ONLY an add-a-leaf in the rear? Since the vibes sound like they are only on accel/decel it might not be the slip-yoke, but that could be in the near future anyway.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, a TC drop decreases drive shaft angle and shims increase drive shaft angle, right?

The differential does not move when the TC drops so, angle decreases. Shimming moves the axle down while the TC is stationary therefore increasing angle, right?

If this is correct, which way would I have to go?

Thanks in advance.

MJM

Mike - take a look at the diagrams and conversation going on in http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29586 - it's a similar issue to what you could be experiencin. Measurements of driveshaft angle are all relative to something, and without that there's really no telling whether it increases or decreases ;)

make sure your pinion is pointed parallel to your TC output. if you still get vibes you can do a TC drop and again make sure they're pointing parallel. OR you can just do it the right way now and get an SYE and driveshaft. The RE hack-n-tap is only $90 and an XJ front shaft can be made to work in the rear.

Back