• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attn: Minors attending NW Fest...

I'm kinda amazed that NAXJA doesn't require a notary stamp on that form...

Everything I did for school/church/etc when I was a minor required a notary stamp. Interesting.

ECKSJAY said:
I'm kinda amazed that NAXJA doesn't require a notary stamp on that form...

Everything I did for school/church/etc when I was a minor required a notary stamp. Interesting.

I've never seen that we needed one, however, I'll shoot an email to woody and see what he says.

Steve

Willis said:
I've never seen that we needed one, however, I'll shoot an email to woody and see what he says.

Steve

I can just see some kids who really want to go...perhaps with a vehicle that doesn't legally belong to them...forging documents in order to come along. A problem may arise in the event something happens, then the parents go after the organization...the organization shoots back and says, "But there was a waiver signed..." Oh, but it was signed by a minor, thus not a legally binding agreement. ;) This is of course unless they know something we don't. :)

Saw that happen at an open 'rally' type race where a kid 'borrowed' Dad's XJ and raced it. Well, he snapped the front axle on a jump and killed the ball joints at the same time. Nose buried and the wheel kept going. OUCH. Turned out that he was 16 and the entry document was forged with his Dad's 'signature.' Big mess. :rof:

One R V Club I belong to has a form to sign that states 'that the Club isn`t responsible for vehicles or occupants at or to and from rally`s or outings " saves their butt .and as adults we understand that but minors and some young adults ??
and thats my 2cents.....

I would advise against letting minors drive on the trail as part of the group UNLESS the parent or legal guardian was either in the vehicle with them, or in the same group on the trail in another Jeep.

Minors can't join NAXJA until they turn 18, so WHY are you entertaining thoughts of letting them participate unaccompanied in an Official NAXJA Event? It sounds to me like putting the Club at unneccesary risk for what? Some non-Member minor's entertainment? Not real wise IMHO.

It's one thing to be "open" with invitations so non-Members can attend an event, but this is different on a bunch of levels. OTOH IF The minor-participant did get their parents permission (via notarized waiver) AND the trail leaders know that person to be generally responsible... it isn't something to prohibit completely. Also, any passengers would also have to sign the waivers...if they are minors too, who's taking responsibility for them?

As far as Notarized forms... the last few times I've had to get authorization letters notarized, all the lady wanted to see was my ID and paid $3.00...and this was a Notary at a bank, during business hours...not some fly-by-night side-alley Notary.

I would have been the minor wanting to go but if it's really that big of a deal I don't really have to. I'm not even a 100% sure I can go with my schedule but I asked about it just in case and it brought up the permission slip ;)

- Kevin

Last edited:
verrive said:
I would have been the minor wanting to go but if it's really that big of a deal I don't really have to. I'm not even a 100% sure I can go with my schedule but I asked about it just in case and it brought up the permission slip ;)

- Kevin

Whether it's you, or maybe someone down the road, it will come up again. I've opened the discussion on the national BOD forum. From a liability standpoint, you may have to wait until you are 18.

When I first read the waiver and read the "permission slip" portion of the waiver, it was my understanding that a minor could attend if the waiver was signed. I now realize, that portion of the waiver is more designed for those bringing their children with them. The bylaws state nothing about a minor attending with or without a parent or guardian.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Steve

Back