• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I move to Colorado? (Ft Carson)

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's almost that time in my "career" to do a PCS move for the Army. Being the proactive type, I'd like to choose where I'm going, so I figured that I'd ask for Ft Carson. The wife is pretty stoked about possibly moving there too.

From what I've heard, it's gorgeous, but expensive. If anyone can give me more information on what is available to us there? I know I can always search the net, but it's so much better hearing personal experience.

Thanks!

John

John,

What exactly are you referring to as expensive? Do you mean the actual housing? Well, sure...if you move into Black Forest or Broadmoor or some other "fine, upstanding" areas. I am living just a few blocks away from Colorado College (which borders on the downtown) and I rent a house with 2BR, all utilities included, 1 car garage, alley access and parking as well as a driveway for under $800. And that's renting. If you are looking to move into the area, I would strongly recommend contacting the Chamber of Commerce which will set you up with local papers, real estate literature, etc. I am not making the kind of money I made in NY for the few years I left CO, but I am also not paying $1350 for a 1 BR apartment now either! It really depends where you are coming from and what you can afford.

It is indeed gorgeous here, and you would be so close to so many terrific trails and parks. Your Jeep would be tickled pink.

And what do you mean when you ask what is available here? I would be glad to fill you in with whatever I can, and there are several more Springs residents here that will probably be chiming in, too.

-Rich

All I know of the area is that housing and cost of living is a bit more expensive than here at Ft Knox. I've talked to a few buddies that were stationed in Carson, and they thought housing was pricey. Just curious about the recreation/job opportunities/general consensus on the area. This might just be my last move for the Army.

I've also been searching 4wheeling there, and the trails are seemingly endless.

Thanks

I would say yes, it will be a little pricier, but your mind will go numb when you realize of all the recreational activities out here. There is no 'off season'. If you would take advantage of the mountains, ski, fish, hike, camp, mountain bike obviously Jeep, you will quickly forget the cost of housing (which coming from Illinois, really isn't THAT bad).

It wouldn't be the housing that concerns me, it would be the initial hit your credit card will take at REI. :)

Sorry I can't comment on the job opportunities, but man, general consensus/recreational activities, the only thing missing is an ocean.

GI-John said:
I've talked to a few buddies that were stationed in Carson, and they thought housing was pricey.
What were they comparing it to? Alabama? It's not as spendy as SouthCal (yet) but it's relative because the jobs aren't always available either.

Go to http://realestate.yahoo.com/re/neighborhood/main.html and check out various stats about the area.

As for your credit card taking a hit at REI, why support the people that want to shut down those same trails we enjoy? Check out Rubicon Outfitters (part of Rubicon Express) and buy a lot of the same stuff from them BUT they donate 2% of your purchase to help keep the trails open...

Ft. Carson is South of the city. There is some exceedingly cheap real estate to be had if you go east a bit to say Fountain. The more you want to be "in town" and near the mountains, the more you pay. Get away from town and you can build a luxury 4,000 sq ft. semi-custom house on a half acre for $400K. Go 40 minutes out of town and you can get five acres and a nice house for half that price. Try to move to the Broadmoor neighborhood and be prepared to shell $700K for starters. Hey, rich people buy the good stuff and drive up prices. A third of the immigrants to Colorado in the last decade were from California, and real estate here is practically free compared to a mid-sized California city.

So it is not "cheap", but cost of living in Colorado Springs is the lowest on the Front Range (except Pueblo, which doesn't really count given the lack of high paying jobs). The Springs is also probably the least desirable city on the Front Range (again not counting Pueblo) if you care at all about cultural amenities or local government (this city is bought and sold by developers). This is one of many reasons why it is cheaper than the other cities, but Denver is a gorgeous hour drive up the road when you just have to get away and aren't heading West for mountain recreation.

The flip side is that it is probably the most beautiful city on the Front Range in terms of location (the city sprawl itself is really ugly, but the terrain surrounding it is magnificent). In my experience, if you have a good paying job, you will find the standard of living in combination with available amenities pretty tough to beat. It is a very nice place to raise kids if you are in a nicer neighborhood. District 12, District 20, and District 38 are all excellent school districts, which is suprising given the lack of property tax revenue. Some of the other school districts are not good. Just like anywhere else. Pricey neighborhood = good schools. Cheap neighborhood = poor schools.

As for moving to Colorado in general...the climate is unreal year round and recreation is endless. I have used an umbrella maybe 3 times in six years. I have never been biten by a bug, mosquito or otherwise, in six years. Summer evenings are always cool, and winters are blessed with warm alpine sun. It snows frequently and melts immediately.

You'll definitely be running up the bills for outdoor gear. I think you need about $10K a person to really get it all together (bike/camp/ski/climb/wheel/etc/etc). The only thing is no ocean...but if we had an ocean it would be California and none of us could afford it. I just take a trip to the ocean each year.

And you know about the wheeling or you wouldn't be asking :D.

Nay

Back