• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holly Pickup / Fuel Cell

Abugarcia

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to put a fuel cell in my XJ, but I can't find any info on Holly pickups, or plumbing a cell.

This is the only info I can find about the pickup http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommer...587&prmenbr=361

I am wondering how they install and where the fuel line would connect to the cell and go to the pump? Do you think it is 100% necessary to have the pickup, or could I get buy with out it? Where did you mount the pump in relation to the tank?

Thanks for the help,
Eric

I can't see the link.

The pickups are "T" inside the cell and will prevent fuel starvation at extreme angles. I used a bulkhead to barb fitting in order to plumb them in the cell. I have the stock pump mounted under the cell.

Cargo_2.sized.jpg

-Jon

What I did for a pickup was to put a piece of flexible hose inside and placed a lead weight around the end so that it always ended up at the low point of the tank. Starvation was never a problem. Venting was another issue.

Those are the same ones I am using. I've never had any fuel issues, even with the Jeep on its side. Simple and effective.

-Jon

I am still a bit confused. Where is your fuel pickup line exiting the tank? Does it come out the top, is it bottom center? What about your return line? Do you have a picture that is closer of the cell and lines?

Thanks

I don't have any more detailed pictures. If you look closely at the bottom of the cell, the fuel supply line is the fitting on the left and the return is on the right.

For the supply line I used a -8 JIC bulkhead through the cell, then used a -8 to -6 reducing fitting, then a -6 to 3/8" barb to hook up the hose. From the cell, 1/2" hose is hooked to the stock fuel pump, then 3/8" hose from the pump to the filter.

The return line is all 3/8".

You can see the vent line on the top. It has a rollover valve inside the cell.

-Jon

sorry garcia, I was out of town, and didn't see the post.

here goes:

My fuel cell had 1/2" FEMALE NPT fittings, which was the key to getting the holley dual pick-ups to exit the EXISTING fitting. I use the left fitting as an exit, and the right fitting as the fuel return.

If you already have the holley pick-ups be advised that they are still sending an UPDATED version of the pick ups with the OLD instructions!

I can help you through this, if this is the case.

at any rate, I will post some pics now because they are better than a verbal description.

feel free to ask on this thread if you need any clarification

cell6.JPG

cell7.JPG

cell8.JPG

cell11.JPG

cell4.JPG

buggyback12.JPG

So does the line on the left go to the fuel pump, and then connect to the stock fuel filter and the rest of the stock lines? As I recall your using an e2000 fuel pump. I think you said that was an autozone part number. Do you know what vehicle they come in? I would be buying mine from Red Rooster because of the discount I get.

Also does your tank have baffels? I am looking at an RCI Aluminum cell that has baffels. Would the baffels be enough to get a good supply of fuel at all angles?

Thanks a lot,
Eric

did you see the "bung" I made?

its a 3/8-1/2 reducing bushing, and the bushing goes into the tank.

as you know, pipe threads are tapered, so I tapped the BACK side of the reducing bushing halfway so I was able to spin in a 3/8" hose barb on BOTH sides of the bushing. I screwed in the bushing into the tank, so I had a hose barb coming out of the tank, and another going INTO the tank to connect to the holley pick ups.

the outgoing hose connects to the e2000 fuel pump, but I do NOT use a filter. The holley pick-ups themselves act as a filter since they have a very FINE mesh material on the underside of the pickup.

I'm not showing it in my pictures, but the return line goes on the right bung of the tank sump.

my cell uses foam blocks to keep the fuel from splashing around, and the foam blocks also keep the pick-ups located in the tank, one sitting in the bottom of the sump, and the other up front.

so would it be better to buy a cell with the female ends like beez accidently did....

aside from the e2000 pump, the holley pickup kit (which can be bought where?) and the fuel cell what else is needed....

mac 'accidently/intentionally endedup needing to go with a fuel cell' gyvr

so.......

anyone know?

or do i have to go over to POR?

mac 'pay my dues here, not there' gyvr

ask your IN. boy mr. nate.

he just got his going with a bulkhead fitting.

simple and effective, if you don't mind drilling a hole in the side of your cell.

I didn't need to, and you don't have to force yourself into using the fittings that come with your cell.

you won't need to worry about the holley kit, unless you are planning on getting your junk on anything other than orange trail.........

Beezil said:
ask your IN. boy mr. nate.

he just got his going with a bulkhead fitting.

simple and effective, if you don't mind drilling a hole in the side of your cell.

I didn't need to, and you don't have to force yourself into using the fittings that come with your cell.

you won't need to worry about the holley kit, unless you are planning on getting your junk on anything other than orange trail.........

you forgot that nate moved to TN....

where did you get your cell?

I'm still trying to figure this all out...with these fittings...and such...i'm kind of dumb with fuel cell stuff....

mac 'moab is less than 3 months away...' gyvr

Jegs has the Holley pick-up kit. There is a link in this thread for them.

Do you want an aluminum or poly cell? If you're cheap like me, a -8 bulkhead fitting in a poly cell will make installing the Holley kit pretty easy.

023FCM2769.jpg

You also need to get a -8 to -6 reducing fitting and a -6 to 3/8" barb.

It appears most of the aluminum cells at Jegs have male AN fittings without threads inside. Maybe Beezil will spill the beans on where to get an Al cell with NPT fittings.

-Jon

macgyvr said:
you forgot that nate moved to TN....

well, shit, in that case forget asking nate, I mean, he moved to tennessee, so obtaining advice from someone who has the experience you desire should be considered "impossible".

yer trying too hard.

buy the cell. Once its tangible, it will figure itself out.

I can't remember much about my cell, there are no markings on it, and I don't save paperwork, or apply the stickers that come with them, so it makes it hard to tell you where to go.....I get a zillion automotive catalogs, and I ordered it from one of those jegs-like suppliers......I didn't intentionally buy a cell with particular fittings....I just dealt with what I got, somehow I got npt fittings.

Last edited:
i follow the KISS pricipal....

its not that i'm cheap per se....well i kind of am...but i want something that will work and be reliable and not cause a bunch of problems on the trail...

and something that's pretty easy for me to figure out...

mac 'simple for the stupid' gyvr

Beezil said:
well, shit, in that case forget asking nate, I mean, he moved to tennessee, so obtaining advice from someone who has the experience you desire should be considered "impossible".

yer trying too hard.

buy the cell. Once its tangible, it will figure itself out.

I can't remember much about my cell, there are no markings on it, and I don't save paperwork, or apply the stickers that come with them, so it makes it hard to tell you where to go.....I get a zillion automotive catalogs, and I ordered it from one of those jegs-like suppliers......I didn't intentionally buy a cell with particular fittings....I just dealt with what I got, somehow I got npt fittings.

I guess i'll have to see if the chickens know how he hooked up his cell, i dont have a lot of money to throw around so all i'm trying to figure out is how in the hell to make this thing work on the first try...

mac 'no female at jegs and summit...and i did a search' gyvr

Back