• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp. Sensor for overhead console

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need the temp sensor for this overhead console Im wiring. Im thinking of going back to the yard where I got it from but I was just wondering if it would be better to buy new? Stealership charges 25 bucks. Any other suggestions?

I took my beauty to a wiring shop and got it wired. Its working good, I think the calibration might be off but I can adjust that. The display works fantastic all the lights are working and they charged me 68 bucks to wire the compass/temp display. 25 bucks isnt too bad from the stealership but I'd prefer not to have to wait so I may have to yard it instead. The only thing I need is the temp sensor and a logical place to put it. Anyone know of a good place-I'd prefer not to have to wire it too far away from the harness.

the sensor should go behind the grill. thats where all the other jeep models have them. i dont remember how to calibrate them. but i think on the zj's you are supposed to drive around in a circle counter clockwise 3 times less than 5mph. i will have to look it up for sure

I have the calibration instructions and yes all you do is drive around slowly in a circle 3 times. Lets see....the temp sensor location (by the grille) has been complained about because the radiator is right there. If you still think its best to mount it there than I will but I'm not sure how to get it there from the wires on the harness. Also will one at a junkyard still be good you think??

the behind the grill mount wont be affected by the radiator, it mounts in front of it and if it is like the newer jeeps it updates when driving over 5mph. a junkyard may be ok. if that is what you choose at least you can get the wire connector. you can always move it around to see where you get best results. not only jeeps but other manufacturers install them behind the grille like my lincoln.

Yo Jneary whats the best way to wire it out to the grille? Also where was it factory on Cherokees? Ive heard it was behind the front bumper?

run the wiring down the left A pillar and behind the kick panel. then through the speedo cable grommet in the firewall or another opening if available. then route the wires down the left fender to the point you decide, you can hide the underhood wiring inside the existing conduit.

That should be all I need thanks a lot.

Friend of mine has a 99 and the harness is already there for the sensor, but since she doesn't have that option the sensor itself isn't there. I have the sensor in mine and the only time it becomes a problem is when sitting still, allowing heat from the radiator to affect the reading. It gets correct pretty quickly after you start rolling again.

temp_sender.jpg

This is from under the engine, looking up and forward; the sensor is centered on the vehicle

It is true that the temp sensor picks up the Radiator heat when stopped. On hot days, I have seen it go to 110+. It takes a couple of miles to get it cooled down to ambient. It is interesting to see what the temp is in your garage in the winter, etc.

When I was having cooling problems, I was able to determine when small improvements were made based on water temp and outside temp.

Back