• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTN: Auto Detailers

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Mea culpa. I think I screwed the pooch on this one.

Does bug splatter eat into automotive paint? I made the mistake of putting the 2000 XJ away for the winter with bugs still smashed all over the nose. Finally had a few minutes today to hit it with some tar & bug remover ... and it didn't remove the bugs. I'm thinking the paint may be permanently damaged.

Does anyone know any pro tricks to remove the bugs and smooth out the paint?

I´ve used a light oil, was thinking of trying GOO GONE on a small test patch. Goo Gone has never hurt any paint I´ve tried it on, used it a lot on furniture. Jaquar used to recommend Kerosene, as did Rolls Royce, but this was with an, I´d imagine, enamel paint (in the 60-70`s).
Bug guts and pollen among others, promote bacteria. One of the by products of digestion is acid (and suger). Another good reason to wash the outside of your radiator.
If the milky spot on your clear coat, is on the surface (not underneath), a good quality polishing compound (Not rubbing compound) helps.

Actually clay works better than the compound as a first step after washing then a good cleaner. I've always applied carnuba wax to my windshield to cut down on bugs sticking and I also use brasso to clean the windshield before waxing, or ammonia but brasso removes oxidation. I use mequires 3 step once or twice a year.

Back