• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power routing question

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have receivers on both the front and rear of my XJ. My winch is on a caddy and can be connected at either the front or rear. The question has to do with running power to the rear so I can quick connect my winch. I am using sufficiently large wire,(about the size of your thumb) 2/0 guage so the length of run isn't the problem. The issue has to be the best way to route the large diameter cables. I would just use tiewraps and screw them to the inside of the "frame" rail, but back by the cat, the cable would melt.

Has anyone routed wires from the front to the rear through the inside of the "frame" rails? I would pop inside the cab and run them along the outside underneath the carpet, but there is no good way to pop through the firewall. Anybody have any good experience?

i have no sugestions but would also like to know my build plans are to have front and back recevers and a multimount winch

Haven´t done an XJ, but did something similar to my tow truck. My solution was to buy, metal electrical conduit and borrow the bender from the supplier. Used half shells and self taping sheet metal screws, to hold it on the frame. Got warm in spots, but the metal leached the heat away from the hottest spots, never did melt. Imagine with enough, vibration the cable would eventually rub through. I used really thick cable with mil spec. insulation, soft and thick. And a fuse I found at a boat place just in case.

It's not electric, and it's not in the frame rail. But thought this might be an idea.
I ran my rubber air hose (3/8" Goodyear hose) for the OBA down the drivers side along the fuel and brake lines. It's been 2 months now, and theres no sign of damage to the hose from the heat thrown off by my Borla header. I just made sure the hose kept close to the other lines where it was near the header.

Another idea might be those sleeves for routing hoses, etc. near hot exhaust parts. I found a few diffrent types and sizes on Summit Racings website. I looked for this stuff because I thought the heat would have been a problem with the hose, which it clearly has not been.

I have a 2001 and did just what you want to do. I started from the back with about a 10 gauge copper wire and ran it up inside the rail. The rail goes all the way into the engine bay and there's a hole that it can come out maybe 4-6 inches in front of the firewall. It took a lot of fiddling around and fishing to get the wire all the way through there, but it finally went. Then I connected the heavy cable to the copper wire and just pulled it through.

use welding cable. Duh. 8)

Seriously-- I used it on my rig and went down the passenger's side. No worries.

Back