• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Xj Shift Motor For 4wd

JKooshTJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK I found a vacuum hose disconnected under the hood, it was red, and i re-connected it. Now my 4WD part-time light is on all the time after I connected it and cleaned all the connections. That's the first problem.

The second question is; is the outer piece of the shift motor where the vacuum hoses connect to supposed to be able to rotate? Mine is as loose as can be. When I disconnected the "plugs" and rotated it downward, gear oil dripped out of the fittings. Is this normal?

I'm still searching for the vacuum hose problem which is affecting the AC ugh.

Green: From Transfer Case to Disconnector's port, closer to passenger's side tire. 2WD supply
Yellow: From Transfer Case to Disconnector's middle port. 4WD supply.
Black: From Disconnector's left port to 4WD light valve on right fender. 4WD light.
Blue: From Transfer Case to the right fender, ventilation only, with a black/black valve at the end.

the actuator on the axle is supposed to rotate. It allows up and down movement of the axle without popping off the vacuum lines.

I belive you might have other vacuum issues if you having ac problems. somebody here will probably chime in.

I bought a used xj once that rarely if ever was used in 4x. had a similar problem. I disconected the vacuum lines from the actuator on the t-case, pulled the actuator and discovered that the rod (looks like a metal ball sticking out of the end) was stuck. something to look at anyway if you still have problems after you vacuum issues are corrected

If gear oil is dripping out of the fittings, it might indicate a bad diaphragm in the shift motor. There are 3 ports, two on the "gear oil" side of the diaphragm and one not. There are supposed to be o-rings in the shaft to keep the oil out, but some leakage is possible, and if it's been a long time it might be all right if it drips out the inboard two. It should never, however, drip out the outboard one. If possible, get or borrow a vacuum pump and test the motor.

Back