• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mileage question

cdnxj

NAXJA Forum User
Since I've only had my truck for about 2 1/2 months I haven't really had a chance to figure gas mileage on it. I have done predominantly city driving but have run up to the cottage with it a couple of times. I've noticed that I am getting just over 500 k's to the tank or just over 360 miles to the tank. Is this good? I'm just wondering what to expect.... I know its not a Honda hybrid but I'd like to know what you guys are experiencing...

Thanks

Marty

'91 XJ 223,000 kms, no mods yet.

That's probably ballpark for a '91... the older ones get better mileage
than the HO's do. With my 2000, I consider 300 miles to a tank to
be a "great day"! I usually average between 260 and 280, depending
on how low it gets before I fill up.

Den

Now that is an interesting data point for me. I get about the same with my 92. My 90 gets about 250.

Now on the Hwy, my 90 gets 300+. Don't know about the 92. I will find out this week end.

I've only burned one full tank so far but I have a 1988 Pioneer 4WD which the previous owner just trashed and it got 360+ miles for a tank. I don't think at the cost that I'll be refilling it all the way any time soon though.

Our 96 Sport 4.0 HO(2wd) 160,000 miles, gets about 400 miles to the tank and usually has a bit left in reserve. I usualy fill up my 87 Laredo 4.0 4wd with 280,000km at the 500km (310 mi) mark, and still have about 3 gallons left (can usualy only get about 17 gallons in it). Pushing it would probably be 360 miles (about 575km) per tank. I figure the best we have gotten for each are about 23mpg in the 2wd sport and 18-19mpg in the 4wd 87 Laredo. These are both stock w/ standard tranny.

We do put on quite a few highway miles though. Living in New Hampshire with family in Atlanta (1200 miles in 19 hours, fun!)

Copperhead.

My '93 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 I6 HO Auto w/ 170,000 mi gets abot 250-280 per tank, depending on how much I let the tank go....mine's mainly city driving, it does better on the road....last time I figured the gas mileage, I was getting 14-15 mpg in town, ~20 mpg on the highway.
However, as I'm selling my Cherokee to buy a newer one to build on, I'm driving a '98 Cherokee 2 door, 2WD, 4 cyl 5 speed as a daily driver. The driving I did last week is probably the best possible AVERAGE mpg. I've driven highway, city, loaded, unloaded, fuel efficient speeds and.....well, I've killed a few Hondas at stoplights ;) So I filled up the other day and figured the mileage.....21.5 MPG!!!! I was amazed.....
DF7

Last edited:
Thanks for the input... Just wanted to know. I'm almost empty now and the trip meter is reading 490 km's. So I guess we're pretty much in the same ball park. Here's one though, does any of ever put any additives in the tank? Injector cleaner that sort of thing?

Thanks again, Marty

'91 XJ; Nothing new yet

Every 3-5000mi I add a large bottle of Chevron Techron to a tank or if it starts acting funny at which time I also clean my throttle body.

I average 270 miles (435km) in mixed city/highway driving from full tank to low fuel warning light coming on in my '92 4.0 XJ. I can usually squeeze another 50 miles (80km) on the low fuel warning light before chickening out and refilling the tank. At that point, it takes 70 liters or 18.5 US gallons.

How do I check to see if I have stock tranny and how do I change the Speedo for better milage?
I do know my tires are 265/70R15
Or do i just go screw it its a jeep and have fun not matter the price of gas.

Last edited:
Back