• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are 98 xj 8.25 shoes self adjusting?

Gcb17

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering, cuz they feel like they arent' working. i just replaced them today, and i'm wondering if it takes a few long drives to get adjusted. thanks- grant

I think they only do their auto adjust thing when you back up and apply the brakes. Another thing, if the jeep has been exposed to salt, you might want to consider replacing the other brake bits and peices (other than the shoes). My '99 spent the first years of it's life in upstate New York and everything in the rear brakes was gunked up with rust.

Technically, all XJ drum brakes are self adjusting, but it is not unusual for that feature to be non-functional. I periodically manually adjust mine if I am going to tow or carry a large load. Jack up rear wheel, use a flat screwdriver on the adjuster until there is some slight drag.

Or, you can periodically replace the rusty internal components, and do the self adjusting procedure of backing up and then rapidly applying the brakes. Do this several times on a system that has non-corroded components.

Or, switch to disc brakes. But that has been covered elsewhere.

Back