• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shocks needed

8700XJS

NAXJA Forum User
It is time to replace the shocks all the way around on my 2000 2X4. My wife's DD. My question is which shock should I get as a good replacement, or should I just get them from the Dealer? It is always driven on the street and doesn't tow anything.

It is also time for new shocks on my 87 4X4. It doesn't have a lift but is driven moderately off road. Same questions as above.

TIA
8700XJS

personally i am a fan of factory replacement parts when available. some times with shocks they fit a number of applications, so the trael length may not be the same as originals,and you may get some knocking or bumping noises from the shocks bottoming out or stretching too far on bumps

jneary said:
personally i am a fan of factory replacement parts when available. some times with shocks they fit a number of applications, so the trael length may not be the same as originals,and you may get some knocking or bumping noises from the shocks bottoming out or stretching too far on bumps
? I fear to think how much $$ will the dealer ask for them! There are monroe shocks that are a great fit and offer a great ride! Anyways, run a search for Monroe and look for posts by Eagle (or just pm him) as I believe he has got some stock length ones that he is really happy with.

Found Eagles post thanks.

Eagle,
Where did you find the Gasmatics? I have looked at the Big 3 and can't seem to find them? Should I just call 'em?

I second Atl XJ on the Bilsteins. Good handling and firm ride. Got mine for about $ 55ea which isn't too bad.

I have monroe Reflex shocks on my 88 XJ. They are much better than the blue monroe matics which were worn out at 30,000 miles.

When the day comes that I need new shocks I'll install another set of monroe reflex shocks. I have never used Bilstein so can not comment to them.

I had my XJ into NTB for my free tire rotation and the guys at the counter saw the relex on my XJ and asked me how I liked them. The counter guys then told me what they learned in the shock class they had when the rolled out the reflex shock. It a totally different valve design.

Before the reflex my XJ would act 'nervous" as it went down the road. That what my buddy called it but after the reflex it rode sold but no harshness. I drive it 450 miles to visit my 80 acres in rural Missouri. These reflex made for a good ride. It not my buick Le Sabre but it better than my 86 Ford Mustang GT.

My vote for Monroe Reflex.

I would recommend 3 different brand of shocks are Belstein, OME and DoeTsch DT3000. These are excellent shocks

8700XJS said:
Found Eagles post thanks.

Eagle,
Where did you find the Gasmatics? I have looked at the Big 3 and can't seem to find them? Should I just call 'em?
In my area, AutoZone and Pep Boys sell Gabriel shocks, and Advance Auto sells Monroe. It turns out that Advance (which is affiliated with Parts America, and I think that means they are tied in somehow with Shucks/Checker/Kragen) buy enough from Monroe that they have their own catalog. For some obscure reason, they use the name Gasmatic for the heavy-duty SUV/light truck line. I believe in the standard Monroe catalog the same series is the Monroe-Matic Plus.

Here's a link to Monroe's catalog on-line: http://www.monroe.com/catalog_looku...&page=ocl_selector&VG=1&MK=79&MDL=807&YR=1995

The ones I've been happy with are the same series as the Monroe-Matic Plus, although they had a different name when I bought them. You might also consider the Sensatrac if you like a very smooth ride, or the Reflex (which wasn't available when I bought mine). The Sensatrac is not a good choice if there's any possibility you might later install a budget boost, because it uses grooves in the fluid tube to allow some fluid bypass in the mid-range of the piston travel and a lift would move the piston out of the optimum location. The other shocks are good for up to a 2" lift.

I've been riding on mine for more than 10 years and I don't even know how many miles, but it has to be well over 100,000 and they still ride well and do their job. What's not to like?

Well I currently have Monroe Gas Magnum on my '87 and have no idea how old they are. I have put about 22,000 on them. They actually seem to ride ok just thought I should replace them as a matter of not knowing the age.

Thanks for all the responses.

8700XJS

Gas Magnum is the model name on the shocks I have more than 100,000 miles on. Keep 'em.

Back