• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know how to fix a door handle

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
Still working on the new to me XJ. anyone know how to repair a door handle that has the thumb latch pushed in? I have two doors that don't open from the outside b/c the buttons are pushed into the door. Any ideas or should I just look for new door latches?
Thanks.

Chances are the rod that attaches the handle to the lock is off. There is a small spring that forces the handle back out but it still works ok without it. Take your interior trim panel off the offending door and check to make sure the lock rod is attached. The clips that the rods attach with are available at bodyshops, boneyards and maybe the HELP section at autoparts stores. Beyond that if you take the handle off you will break one of the mounting studs off. Pm me and I'll send you a couple pix of my fix for that. Lots cheaper than buying new handles!!
HTH

Back