• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on a Dana 30 for a 2000 XJ

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well, I was out running the power lines yesterday and hit a rock about a foot high at about 20 or 25 MPH. It tore the left front tire (street tires) and broke the rim. I was able to change the tire and get it back on the road, but the steering was hurt. I had some minor body damage where the rock must have bounced up and hit between the bumper and front wheel. So I had it towed to a body shop.

They say the front axle housing needs replaced.

What other axles will fit?

I have a D30 from a '90 XJ and I often see them here for sale from early to mid 90s XJs.

What would I need to do to get an earlier XJ D30 to fit in my 00, seeing the old ones were HP? Would the front drive shaft fit, or would I need to shorten it? Will the yoke fit? What about the springs, control arms and steering?

This was my DD, now I have to drive the old truck while it is down. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated; Thanks.

The older housing will fit fine. I did the same swap ('94 housing into an '01)and used my current driveshaft. The gears will NOT swap over from LP to HP, so the ratio needs to be the same unless you want to do a regear. The CAs, steering and brakes will fit fine. Make sure the 1990 housing is a non-disconnect unit, as that would present another set of issues. Also, before 1990 the brakes and knuckles were different. You should be fine with a '90 housing, though.

Back