• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Delivery Problems.

Googenheimer

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 XJ is stumbling and really doesn't want to stay running, in fact I have to manually blip the throttle every few seconds to keep it from dying. It stumbles for a while and will then rev pretty high for three or so seconds and then return to the stumbling. After inspecting the TPS,IAC,throttle body,EGR and the like, I think that I've finally got a lead.(All the previous components checked out OK). After pressurizing the fuel system by turning the key on and off I pushed in the fuel relief port to see how much fuel it would spray out. It kinda dribbled and that was all. So I unhooked the fuel supply line and put it into a cup and then repressurized the system. It dumped out some fuel but only about 3 tablespoons full. In comparison, my '94 squirts a healthy amount of fuel out the relief port with only one turn of the key.I've already changed the fuel filter with no results, so I suspect that my fuel pump isn't pumping out quite enough fuel. Is there anybody that's had the same problems that can "concur" with me in my diagnosis? I just want to be sure before forking out the dough for a new pump. Not to mention the labor invovled. By the way does the '88 really have to have the tank removed to change the pump?

Last edited:
Before I´d buy a new fuel pump, I´d check out the electrical and the feed lines. Possible a frayed wire, a corroded connector or a ground, isn´t allowing enough amps through to run it effeciently. Try another relay in place of the pump relay, could be a cooked contact, acting as a resistor. The ballast resistor on my 88 was pretty cooked, couldn´t have been helping current flow, jump the resistor and give it a try. Try the pump, for volume at a few different places, just before the filter for one or as close to the pump as practical. Check the rubber fuel line between the tank and filter. Did you dump the filter to see what came out? Not unheard of for the rubber fuel lines, to come apart inside where it doesn´t show, excessive use of alchohol fuel driers, messes with the rubber.
Could be the pump, but it is worth a couple of hours to make sure.
Can´t remeber if the wire for the pump runs through the drivers side kick rail near the door sill or under the carpet. I´ve seen the wires under the drivers side carpet in a pretty sorry state.

you dont have to drop the tank, the pump faces the front of the jeep, and is easily accessable. you do have to make sure you get the bottom of the sending unit in the recess in the tank when reinstalling.

Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If it is stopped up you won't get uch flow.

Just a quick update. It was indeed the Fuel pump. It had metal shavings in it, so I assume it just gave up the ghost. Everything is back to normal.

Back