• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem?

CKWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94 XJ with a 4.0 and a five spd and I have a problem with it dieing sometimes. It happens when I am driving and gives no indication that it is going to die on my; I am just cruising along and next thing I know it isn't running. The fact that it doesn't cough or sputter before it does it makes me thinki that it is an eletrical problem rather than a fuel problem, but I have no real idea of where to start looking for the problem. Also I never get a check engine light so I don't think that it is a bad sensor. Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks Chris.

the majority of a hot stalling problem is the crank sensor although if no faults are stored it could be the coil. the computer cannot detact secondary ignition failures, but if the crank sensor fails it could store a code and not turn on the check engine light.

Thanks for the advice; is there anyway for me to check the codes from the computer or do I need to take it to the dealer to have them read the codes.

if the dealer will do it for you i would recommend buying the factory replacement, its of much better quality. i have seen faulty aftermarket sensors, and for a little more money, it beats doing the job over again

Had that problem a few years ago. Turns out the owner before me used a rag for a gas cap and it got sucked into the tank and would plug/cover the fuel intake and stall. Once the engine stalled the rag would sink and the truck would start and run till the next time!

Back