• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17" wheels

Andrew T

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running 17" rims with a 33-35" tire? I'm curious as to how well the tires perform in the rocks or on trails with that big of a wheel. Also, who makes a 17" with 5 on 4.5 that's not an arm and a leg?

Andrew

i don't know of anyone who is running 17's offroad except for the magazines..... apparently they don't mind ruining megabuck wheels and buying megabuck tires to go with em. and about who makes cheap 17's....... nobody

I wouldn't run a 17" wheel unless I was running 37" tires. The sidewall flex really suffers at any size less than that.

Are there even any good off-road tires made that come in a 33 or 35 x 17"? I don't think so?

CRASH

I saw some 34" LTB's a guy had on ebay. I hadn't really seen any either, but that's what he said. Anyway, the sidewall is what I was refering to as far as how well they work. I think I'm gonna stick with 15's, MAYBE 16's if a good deal comes along. Thanks everyone.

Andrew

17" rims aren't that expensive, and there are more people than just in the mags that are running them. Check out Allied Rockathons. I've got 300 bucks in each rim and tire combo.
Nate - the jeeper formally known as MJNate
1051528669_P4260007.jpg

Last edited:
baja's in a 17 x 9 are like 130 bucks.. but the backspacing choices suck if you run a high steer setup.

I have been researching 17" wheels for my Dodge 2500. Some can be expensive but there are some that are moderaely priced. For an XJ, either a 15 or 16" rim will work fine. There are limits to the tires available in the 17" range.

The 315's I have have on my Dodge are D load rated. I don't see why you would need that heavy of a tire on an XJ.

BFG AT's & MT's come in sizes 32 thru 37 in 17". Krawlers in 35 & 37.
Goodyear MT/R's come in 32 thru 40 in 17".
Some of the smaller height tires however are sized in metric equivalents.

All 17 inchers
32"
xj17inchchromewith32.JPG

37"
xj17inchwith37s.JPG

xjsky10.jpg

Back