• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Question - How Do I Remove My TC Oil Plug?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
I've been getting around to changing/checking my fluids lately and I was curious how the heck do I get the transfer case plug out? It's on a NP242 I believe. I at first thought for some reason maybe it was a socket and after getting a socket stuck I figured that wasn't right :p The Haynes guide really wasn't any help it just says remove it. As well the guide said to drive around in 4WD to get the fluid warmed up. It's the middle of summer, definetly not going in part time, 4 Full time? Also what color is normal TC fluid? Very lastly although it doesn't pertain to my TC, when I checked my transmission fluid it was a light reddish brown color, is that right? It's a '92 automatic if it matters.

Thanks,
Kevin

The ONLY thing I found that was good enough to get my plug off was a socket. Mine was frozen on, and I tried every tool in the book. I don't remember the size, but I just drove up to AZ and tried them one by one until I got a perfect fit.

TC fluid is just ATF. light red color.

Your transmission fluid should be light red as well. If it's got some brown to it it may be a bit on the burned side. Hard to tell without looking at it.

Kevin

Guess I'll see if I can find some more sockets. The two closest sizes I could find, one was too small and the other got stuck because it was too big :p Thanks again. You're getting to be a very helpful guy :D

- Kevin

Plug? Hhhhmmm, mine has two big flat bolts that just screw out.The top one is to check or add fluid and the bottom one is to drain the fluid out.If its been awhile since you changed it , most likey will be dark red to tan in color .And yes drive it around in full time for a few min. to warm it up, and a little trick I do is to run some new fluid through while the plugs are out to flush out all the old fluid.

verrive Thanks again. You're getting to be a very helpful guy :D - Kevin[/QUOTE said:
It's no big deal. I was in your shoes not too long ago and learned everything I know from either a FSM or this site. Just trying to return the favor.

Kevin

The Bolt size is 30mm.Some have an Allen plug that is 10 or 11 mm(size may be wrong) but it is a big Allen plug.
The fluid should be red as it is ATF.And so should be the fluid in the tranny,if any other color ,it,s time to change it.
Wayne

A rule of thumb for your future work on the XJ, and any project:

If the wrench (socket, etc) DOESN'T FIT, get one that DOES!

I'm rebuilding a yard-sale power washer for a friend (heck, it was $20,
and it's a $500 top-of-the-line machine). The biggest problem is that
last guy that tried to take it apart didn't have a 5mm allen-key socket,
and screwed up all of the bolt heads!

In essence, his $500 machine needed a $10 pressure-regulator replaced
(which *didn't* require removal of the screws in question!). Without
knowing that, he proceeded to screw up $about $100 worth of parts
because he didn't want to buy a $5 socket.

Sheesh. At any rate, my buddy's getting a slightly-used $500 power
washer for $120....

And *I* get to use my $5 socket on a second project!! :cool:

Den

Wayne Sihler said:
The Bolt size is 30mm.Some have an Allen plug that is 10 or 11 mm(size may be wrong) but it is a big Allen plug.
The fluid should be red as it is ATF.And so should be the fluid in the tranny,if any other color ,it,s time to change it.
Wayne
As I don,t rember what the correct size allen wrench is as none of mine has this plug type,I could not tell the proper size.
Use the proper size tool in all areas,as this saves skin,money and headaches.
Wayne

Over time I discovered that if you happen to see a snap-on, MAC, etc tool truck parked in shop, stopped for lunch or whatever the owner has no qualms about you pulling up next to him, trying different tools till you find the one that fits. I have alot of those one-off tools for my XJ, my Yamaha and other vehicles I've owned, he even stopped at my house to find a socket for a strange bolt on an old snow blower I had. Heck, I got a l-o-n-g ratchet wrench that is made for loosening the idler pulley bolts so you dont have to move the electric fan on the 4.0L's and after I got it found it even has the correct size fitting [it has 4, 2 on each end, 1 each side] for grabbing and holding the tension pulley on the wifes oldsmobile, I used to fight with that sob come belt change time every time, now it's an easy one handed operation. As for the correct socket for the transfer case, I went to sears and bought a 3/8" socket kit, it had the size 10 hex that I needed.

kevin,
next time go use the bathroom BEFORE you start working on your jeep:D

sorry couldnt help myself:D

Kris

verrive said:
I almost crapped my pants trying to get it off with a 30mm wrench and I don't have a 30mm socket. Buy one and use a big ass breaking bar?

- Kevin

That's what I did, although I didn't mess my pants. Use the wrench with the breaker bar if you can.

Kevin

Those bolts are easy to strip, at least on mine, so make sure you take off the top one first, so you can actually refill it.

K

When you get the right allen key and it fits correctly, try tightening it first then loosen it. This works well with most tapered threads. It also helps to put something softer than the bolt (alum, copper or brass) on the plug/bolt head and give it a few raps with a ballpeen hammer to break it free. Be careful not to damage the head. Presoaking any frozen fastener with Kroil, PB blaster or WD-40 will always increase your chances. Be patient! I hope this helps.

waxworm53

Back