• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atf recomend

The first place to look for the fluids your XJ needs is the owner's manual. If you do not have one you need one. There is lots of important information to included fuse locations, maintenance intervals, how to operate your transfercase and required fluids.

If you do not have an owners manual then call Techauthority, the Chrysler publications people, and order a manual. You will end up paying less than what people sell them on ebay. I ordered an owner's manual for my 88 XJ 18 months ago so they still should have yours in stock. You will have to call them since they only go back 10 years on the web site - 800-890-4038 . While you have them on the phone order the shop manuals for your XJ. If you plan on working on your XJ you need to spend the $100, they will pay for themselves in short order.

My 88 XJ uses Dextron in the transmission. There was a Tech service bulliten out in the early 90s saying to ONLY use Dextron with the certification number on the bottle. The Cert number will appear something like D-3XXX for Dextron III.

You really should pick up an owners manual at the least, check out a boneyard for a wrecked one, some of them collect ownersmanuals and sell them. The factory service manual should also be considered. That $100 can save you thousands and I'm not kidding, rough estimate on my 98XJ is that FS manual has saved me over $3000+ in time I have had it. Thats one of the main reasons I spent the money on 97TJ manuals when we picked up two TJ's this last year. They paid for themselves when we had to pull the dashboards apart for some minor stuff that would have cost a fortune at the dealer, about $500 each so that $100 saved me a $grand$.
On the low end you could pick up a Haynes or Chiltons, their only downside is they don't always have the correct information in them or not enough detail which is understandable considering they cover like 10 years on one small book.
The FSM's are the size of a good sized yellow pages and ONLY cover YOUR specific year.
I can't help with the auto tranny, I've not owned an auto in over 20 years but they can be picky. Quick way would be to go to the dealer and get a few quarts directly, they are not that much more expensive and on alot of things are VERY competetive price wise.

Local dealer/ Jeep experts say ATF +3. It worked well in my 94 aw4 until I smoked the tranny four wheeling hard in the mud (4 hi + 3.55 gears + 31 inch meats) it is still alive after doing this 4 times. As an experiment, I've run some Lucas AT fixer (good), Mystery oil, Trickshift and Dexron III. The tranny has lost some sack after cooking it but I have not changed the filter and It still goes.a good size external cooler helps. Now I flush it with Dexron III and I plan to fill it completely with Trickshift.

Back