• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joints???? long

themud

NAXJA Forum User
I recently have a new klunking noise after a wheeling trip(no its not the track bar I have completely ruled it out) that seems to only klunk when its cooler out(temp wise)....was wondering the odds of one or more bj being bad it only does it when Im turning medium to slow speed(vehicle speed) like less than 30mph...I have been unable to nail the source down the but you can hear it and feel it through the jeep interior...

specs
95 4" lift re hd trackbar and brace32 bfgs new steering(currie) new stabilizer all control arms are re adj but all are tight and no play in either the bushings or the joints???

Im stumped but kind of concered as its seems to be getting worse..I can duplicate the sound sitting on my gravel driveway and turing the wheel back and forth but cant seem to find the source of the noise...
TIA
themud

Jack up the front tires so they are a few inches off the ground. Use a pipe or heavy duty crow bar and pry up on the tire. There should be no or very little play or movement with the ball joints...if so they are shot. I had a buddy work the pry bar while I inspected for movement in the ball joints.

carpcommando gonna try that just having a problem having someone to help me as its most apparent when its cooler out and that means nightime here in AZ...No one wants to help me at midnight when I get out of work but Ill find a way....Family xj I dont think its the upper I just had the bushings replaced with factory rubber and my arms are RE jjs so I dont think thats it keep them ideas coming though :gee:
thanks
themud

Back