• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need quick brake answer

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
my front right pad just went out, what kind of pad do i need to buy. not brand or anything i just dont know what fits it. have to change tomorrow before i go to work and ruin the rotor.

it has come to my attention that i should just go to autozone or what have you, and just tell them what i have and what i need and simply wait.

Ramsey said:
it has come to my attention that i should just go to autozone or what have you, and just tell them what i have and what i need and simply wait.

Just go get a set of pad, they will come with 4 in the box, 2 for each side and you DO need to do both sides. We just did one of our TJ's, two new rotors, two new calipers and pads. Took about 20 min to remove and install the new stuff and another 10 min or so to bleed. Yours is even easier, unbolt, just push the old pad/piston back and lift it off, snap out old pads, snap in new ones, clean those bolts and relube them with the grease that comes with the pads, clean the area up and reassemble. Torque the bolts to 14ft lbs or so..

RichP said:
Just go get a set of pad, they will come with 4 in the box, 2 for each side and you DO need to do both sides. We just did one of our TJ's, two new rotors, two new calipers and pads. Took about 20 min to remove and install the new stuff and another 10 min or so to bleed. Yours is even easier, unbolt, just push the old pad/piston back and lift it off, snap out old pads, snap in new ones, clean those bolts and relube them with the grease that comes with the pads, clean the area up and reassemble. Torque the bolts to 14ft lbs or so..

...and pay attention, the pads, at least on later XJ's, are labeled for right and left.

Just don't buy the cheap Albany semi-metallic brand pads at Autozone. I think the metal content in them is too high. They squeal like mad, even after new rotors, having the new rotors turned, twice, they still squeal.

Back