• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Crawler Box Update

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
See earlier post for background...

Update on the crawler box project... I bought a Dana 20 from a '73 Bronco ('72 style T-case, though, with the T-style shifter and 2.46 low range) and it is a 6-bolt mounting face! I just have to verify that it is the same bolt circle as a NP231, and this will greatly simplify my design for the crawler box. The seller was also nice enough to give me the stub shaft, input gear and bearing from the adapter to aid in splicing this gizmo together.

Cherokee Nation, didn't you find a similar 6-bolt case?

Nick, do you know what year your 5-bolt case is from? I wonder if there was a mounting hole change in '73 with the change in low range ratio and shifter design, or perhaps to concide with a change in transmissions as some point.

I'm just now understanding the attraction of using heavier-duty parts from other vehicles... I used to go by the notion of keeping it all XJ, but no longer.

Stay tuned.

I was wrong, I just looked it up again. The jeep 20 (CJ) uses a texas pattern and the bronco 20 is a 6 bolt. I have read it wrong the whole time, thought it was the other way around. That makes things easier.

comparison

good luck with it, and keep track of everything. _nicko_

Ah-ha, that makes sense then. Well, this should be much easier than I originally thought (not that I was put off by the challenge.) The designing part is easy, especially since it will probably turn out more like the BC4x4 version than I originally thought... if I only had my own machine shop :bawl:

Back