• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best disc brake pads

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
[1997 XJ, 4.0, 231J, AW-4]

I am due for new front disc brakes.

The pads that were last installed worked out OK except that they dusted really badly. Every week I needed to clean my "Canyon" wheels or they would look terrible.

I need recommendations on pads to put on my stock front brakes that would stop well, hold up well, and not "dust".

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

I have the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. A little pricier however they are 'supposed' to last twice as long (haven't had them long enough to find that out). They will take care of your dust problem.

I went by NAPA today and the Ceramix pads were in stock and will be costing $79.95 if I decide to buy them.

The counter guy tells me they will last twice as long as regular pads, but at the expense of the rotors.

Does anyone know if their pads are eating up their rotors?

That is the only sticking point at this time. I believe the pads will last long and be dust free and quiet as well.

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

I've always followed the idea of buying the best brake pads you can find (I'm running the Raybestos ceramics - "Quiet Stop" IIRC) and cheap rotors. This "philosophy" has worked well for me so far. Buddy of mine who's replaced a ton of brakes on his cars over the years (not from bad brakes, just from buying a couple three junk cars every year) told me this, so I've got no facts/figures/stats/math to back this up, just that it's worked well for him and for me.

HELLLLLLP!, all you posters on the current related thread "Help with front disk brakes". What do you think of ColoCherokee's thesis?

And ColoCherokee, what kind of "cheapest rotors" & "best pads" do you recommend?

P.S. (My brain works on a 5-second delay from my "submit" finger): you DID name your favorite pads. Sorry.
I guess my remaining questions are (1) what is "cheap" for rotors compared to the cost of, say, the Wagner steel ones Rich recommends, (2) are there rotors that are TOO cheap & should be avoided?

I got the "standard" rotors at Checker, they were around $25, but I can't remember the brand name. I'm also curious to see if anyone who might know more can chime in on the "cheap rotor-good pad" idea.

I can understand the "cheap rotor-good pad" approach. My issue is that my left front rotor always ends up warping before that pads go. Being the kind of guy I am, I always replace both pads a rotors every time.

My latest round, about two weeks ago, was with CarQuest loaded calipers and rotors. The rotors were different from the past ones in that they were turned hubs instead of the sheet metal with castings added. I suspect I will get better cooling now since the the heat sink impedence is reduced all the way to the hub and wheel.

Time will tell!

BTW: I have found that the rotors are always scored by the time the pads do wear down to near needing replacing. I haven't mic'ed them but thought the cost of new was worth reducing down time.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Hawk HPS pads available at tirerack.com for about $50. I have had 2 sets. Very quiet, low dust, excellent bite, lasted me about 60,000 miles. I also have cross drilled rotors from summitracing.com. I have had perfectly reliable brakes since installing these two components.

I wound up buying the NAPA "Ceramix" disc brake pads. I also bought NAPA Rotors- NAPA#UBP 86142 (United brand).

Dusting problem is the worst that I have ever had. Wheels need to be cleaned EVERY WEEK.

I either have a bad batch of Ceramix pads, or I'm using too good (hard) of a rotor.

NAPA said they'd replace my pads with new ones, but if my rotors are too hard or something, I won't be solving the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I've had good luck with Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads and standard Raybestos pads with $20 Autozone 1 piece rotors. The dust is acceptable, and I have white wheels. Stopping quickly has not been an issue.

--Matt

Jeff-97XJ said:
I wound up buying the NAPA "Ceramix" disc brake pads. I also bought NAPA Rotors- NAPA#UBP 86142 (United brand).

Dusting problem is the worst that I have ever had. Wheels need to be cleaned EVERY WEEK.

I either have a bad batch of Ceramix pads, or I'm using too good (hard) of a rotor.

NAPA said they'd replace my pads with new ones, but if my rotors are too hard or something, I won't be solving the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I LOVE the Ceramix pads. I've been using them for over a year and mine don't dust at all.

I also bought the cheapest rotors in the system when I bought them (at NAPA).

I've had zero dust and zero warpage, and zero problems.

Sounds like you either got bad pads, or bad rotors.

Back