• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where the %$*(&$ is the CPS sensor located?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to change my CPS on my '90 XJ AW4. Been looking under it for over 30 minutes now, but still can't find the damn thing.

I know it is on the transmission bell housing, but I not exactly sure which bell housing that is. I don't know a lot of the technical names for parts.

Is it supposed to be on the middle, or more up towards the front by the starter and flex plate?

Thanks!!

90Pioneer said:
Trying to change my CPS on my '90 XJ AW4. Been looking under it for over 30 minutes now, but still can't find the damn thing.

I know it is on the transmission bell housing, but I not exactly sure which bell housing that is. I don't know a lot of the technical names for parts.

Is it supposed to be on the middle, or more up towards the front by the starter and flex plate?

Thanks!!

It's easiest to locate from the top first and then change it from the bottom. Stand on the driver side by the rear of the engine bay and look by tb there is a pair of wires dropping on the back of the motor towards the bottom. Follow those wires down and you should be able to find it. Then get to it from the bottom.

Imagine sitting in the driver's seat and using your Superman x-ray vision to look through the floor at the bellhousing. The CPS will be located at approximately the 11:00 o'clock position.

If you look at the engine from the rear, it's at the 11 o'clock position on the bellhousing. Like Kejtar said, the wires are at the back of the valve cover, but can hide sometimes so look carefully. You're looking for something like this:
cps.jpg

Thanks everybody. I found the sensor! There sure isn't much room to work, and I can't even see the top bolt to it.

Mechanic only wants $40 to change it, which sounds tempting!!

Last edited:
You can change it out in your driveway, but it takes a couple extensions and elbows to get to. I found it helps to have a semi-willing assistant "up top" to hold the socket in place as you turn the ratchet from below, and also to make sure you don't lose the bolt in the bellhousing.

Jim

OregonXJ said:
oh man have fun if you got big arms.

That was the first time I discoverd the XJ hood goes back alot futher than I thought....and don't lay on the master cylinder....

I've had good luck inserting it from above and wrenching it from beneath. I used a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, with a couple of long extensions, a medium exension, and a u-joint. It helps to put the u-joint in the middle of the stack somewhere, rather than right at the socket end. You can also put a piece of tape or something in the socket to hold the bolt from falling out.

Make sure you use the little plastic dust shield that comes with a new CPS. It will hold the CPS in place before you get the bolts in.

Make sure you have lots of light too.

Well, I'm back from the mechanic. They said it was the wrong sensor, but were able to modifty it (wtf?), and got it to work. The sensor was identical to the one already on there, but it also wasnt the original, nor was it a mopar product.

The CPS from the dealer was only $8 dollars more. Had I of known that, I would of just boughten that one originally. But by the time I figured it out, the mechanic had already "modified" my new CPS, and I'm sure CarQuest would not have let me return it.

Seems to work for now...

Back