• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedometer problem

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
installed the speedo gear today, 39 tooth. and now the speedometer doesn't work at all! i rotated the housing to the 39-45 range and it doesn't work! what the hell? am i doing something wrong here?
i unplugged the wiring harness thing to get the old gear out easier...was that a mistake?

:(
brandon

doesn't sound as if you've done anything wrong. i've unplugged that wirng harnes a dozen times. that shouldn't have naything to do with it. did you make sure that you've pushed the new gear in completely? it should snap into place somewhat securely. i have had a problem of mine coming lose once, popped it back in and it was fine. the only other thing that i could think of is fluid level. i had a had a slow leak in my 231 for about a month, and when the fluid got low the speedometer started going haywire(thats how i noticed the leak and also when the new gear came out). turned out to be a o-ring around the speedo gear housing. replaced it, changed the fluid, and back to normal. can't think of anything else.

Sounds like you don't have the gear seated fully. Pull it out and try again so that it sorta "snaps" into place and you can feel the gear teeth mesh.

kept trying today, and i have no idea what this "feel" feels like. all i know is i put the stock 34tooth back in and it works again! maybe my new 39tooth is $#%&#$$ up! oh yeah, the 34tooth went in easily, and the 39tooth seems hard to get in!

brandon

I know they have short and long shaft drives for the different model years....I supose you checked that already?
Once you find out WTF.....let us know....mine is next....

OK, some peolple say I'm nutz, but screw them.

The way I do it is to put it in where it seems like it should be aligned (by the numbers) and then rotate the speedo gear housing clockwise before tightening the retainer clip bolt.

Usually works half the time. Every other time I do it - it seems to work...

bburge

if you can remember, did your new tooth gear look the same as your stock gear? my new 39tooth gear is really sharp and my stock one is more rounded off... and i still can't get it to work!

Don't particularly recall - but this issue (not working on the install) has been an issue even when re-installing the old one (the exisiting one).

Just doesn't work every time. One thing you might check. I noticed that on one of mine (I've been thorugh three) the num ber stamped on it was NOT the number of teeth. I think it might have the number to refer to on the housing when making the adjusment. You could check that....

bburge

it says 39tooth, so i guess i'll just have to keep trying. also, the teeth on the new gear appear to be getting squished/flattenned everytime i put them in. i put the 39tooth in and moved the XJ forward a little, and i could hear a clicking noise coming from the t-case! i just can't seem to get them in snug so the gears hit or don't squish down. i need to decidate an entire day to getting this thing down right!

brandon

Maybe you are not lining the numbers up with the correct point? You may have to rotate the housing until you cannot go any further and then back it off until the clamp will fit. Have you seen the pictures on my site as that may help you?

http://go.jeep-xj.info

The numbering guide stamped on the speedo housing for the gear you are using, should be pointing down and towards the rear. Keep in mind that 2 - "Y" ends of the housing retaining fork always seat into the divots on the housing. There are only so many ways this combination works.

If you are still having problems getting the speedo to work (by orienting the housing with the stamped numbers down and back), rotate the housing to the next "seated" location in either direction, that the retaining fork will fit correctly. It will eventually work.

Ivan

Back