• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I've been out of this for awhile, so here goes: When reinstalling the speedo gear on an NP231, I thought that the housing is supposed to be rotated in a particular way and I don't remember how or why. What I do know is that I have an non-stock speedometer gear to accomodate larger tires and 4.10 gears. Can anybody help? TIA

so are you getting bigger tires, new gears, or something that you need to change the speedo? basically depending on the tooth you have the housing/bracket type thing should be rotated so that the correct range of tooth gear is showing. for 4.56 and 33's you'll have a 39tooth gear and you'll be able to see the range on the housing. what size tires do you have?

I've done the 3" lift, 31" tire combo along with 4:10 gears. I also have an SYE. The speedometer has been chattering lately and it appears that the speedo gear is slightly chewed. I'm wondering if I installed it correctly last time as I might have positioned it in a manner that gave it too much play.

on my 89 with the 231, the housing that holds the speedo gear has numbers stamped around the edge. those number correspond to the number of teeth on the gear that you are installing. you need to turn(clock) the housing to index what # gear your putting in.

Back