• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle 8.25

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

I was looking at regearing my 8.25 with 4.11 gears. Well after some research I found out that if I could find an axle out of a cherokee that had a 4 cylinder in it they came with 4.11, or 4.10 whatever.

This is my question. I have a 95 Cherokee Sport with a manual (3.07), what axle years would fit my Jeep? Are they all pretty much the same? I don't want to have to re-weld spring perches or anything. Just looking for a swap that would go fairly easy.

Thanks all,

Alex

you're good to go on any year axle out of a four cylinder xj (front or rear). you can use axles from a four banger mj, yj, or tj too if you can fab up some new spring perches. i did the same thing to avoid re-gearing, but want to go to 4.88's for my 33's. what size tire are you planning on running?

no, sorry, i didn't read your initial post closely. i believe only the xj axle will just "bolt-in", the others are either coil sprung or srung under the axle (if that makes any sense). i think i'm right about this. but i'm sure someone else will know for sure. i know yj's are leaf sprung all the way around, and srung under in the front, so i would believe they would be in the rear too. mj's are sprung under in the rear, coil in the front. tj have coils all around. so xj's would be the easiest solution for the rear. xj's, mj's, and tj's are options for a direct swap front. i hope this helps.

Back to basics. Any rear axle from any year XJ will bolt in. If it's a Dana 35 the pinion snout is shorter and you may need a longer slip yoke to compensate. A Dana 44 will use the same driveshaft as your Mopar 8.25.

If you can, try to find either a Dana 44 (1987 XJ) or a 29-spline 8.25. The 29-spline axles were used from 1996 and newer. Externally it's the same as yours but the shafts are larger, which is always good with larger tires, even behind a 4-banger.

Back