• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25 swap ?

cougar101

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping my tired Dana 35 for a '99 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 in my '88 XJ. If anyone else out there has done this I've got a question about the driveline. I was wondering if instead of having my driveline shortened could I just use the driveline from the '99? Thanks, Darin.

It should work if they both have the same transmission and transfer case!

cougar101 said:
I'm swapping my tired Dana 35 for a '99 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 in my '88 XJ. If anyone else out there has done this I've got a question about the driveline. I was wondering if instead of having my driveline shortened could I just use the driveline from the '99? Thanks, Darin.
First you need new U-bolts the one for the 8.25 are larger (3") 2-The transfer case slip-yoke design is different on the 99 and wont work on the 88,as the oil will leak out.
If you have any lift the DS may be Ok as the pinion snout on the 8.25 is only about 1/2 " longer than the D35.
Wayne

Back