• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Directions

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Mike ,or any one,
The posted directions to the camp site and the exit # off I 81 don,t match up with what I found on Yahoo maps.
I am comming from the south Yahoo has the exit as #124B you have #143,20 miles is a bit of a difference ?
And then appox 10 miles to the camp ground.
Any guesses?
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
I am comming from the south Yahoo has the exit as #124B you have #143,20 miles is a bit of a difference ? Wayne

Wayne:

You probably should be OK, I've never gone to Red Ridge from that direction, but, looking at my Road Atlas, getting off I81 North at Exit 124 seems fine and would save you about 20 miles or so.

Run PA61 north into Shenandoah - looks like it turns into PA924, take that north into Brandonville, then a left onto PA339 north. Miller Rd can be reached a few miles (3-5?) up on the right, but it's a bit complicated.
I'd give you a cell number to call if you get lost Friday night, but cell coverage at the CG is poor to non-existent.

Red and Green Parachute Flares might work too - depending on how many cases of Yeungling's have been consumed by the time you get there!

(If I get the chance between now and June 10, maybe I'll take a couple hour sightseeing drive and check out that path and post better info)

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Last edited:
Thanks,Mike.
Thought that was the reason,you from north -me from south.Keep a light on as it wil be late when we get there.
Tried to find a new Pa. road map today,no luck yet ,I wonder why :helpme:
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Tried to find a new Pa. road map today, no luck yet

Keep looking, you're going to need a good one.

I was still wondering why no one ever mentioned coming in from that direction, and it seemed too easy on the large scale map I had. So I looked at my Delorme PA Topo Atlas. Good thing - the last couple of turns to get to the campground could get dicey in the dark. (I changed my earlier answer a bit).

Unless you get a very detailed map, or a county one (Schuykill Co.), I'd come in from the Exit 143 direction, at least we have detailed directions that way.

If you feel adventurous and want to try Exit 124 to save that twenty miles - it looks like PA61 has a junction with PA924 in Frackville (about a mile north of the interstate). Take 924 through Shenandoah to Brandonville - PA339 joins from the right at a RR crossing. In about half a mile, 339 leaves to the left, make that turn to continue on PA339, leaving PA924.

In about 5 miles, you reach Zion Grove (I have NO idea how obvious, or un-obvious, a village this is). In the center of "town" make a right on to State Road 4033. None of my maps have a name for this road, but it's the only intersection in the middle of Zion Grove and you can only make a right - it doesn't go across 339. There is an outside chance that this is called "Red Ridge Road" though. In about half a mile, "Green Mountain Rd (T796)" joins from the right, and the maps definitely identify the road you're on as "Red Ridge Rd" past that junction. Go another half mile and there should be a road intersection on the right, that's Miller Road (T443). Make the right, go down the hill and in a quarter mile or so is the campground entrance on the left.

(If you end up in the small town of Nuremburg, you've missed the Miller Road turn, turn back around on Main Street and look for the Miller Road turn on your left about two miles back)

Like I said, if I get the chance in the next couple of weeks, I'll go that way and look for some landmarks (especially in Zion Grove), but don't hold your breath.

See you in a couple.

There are no updated maps because the pot holes are in a constant state of flux! :eyes:

CountryXJer said:
There are no updated maps because the pot holes are in a constant state of flux! :eyes:
That doesn,t bother me,Just as long as Im not into the cow pies :rof:
Mike, Here are the directions from Yahoo
Ex-124 B> R on S Lehigh Ave 0.2 mi . PA 61 for 0.8 mi >S lehigh for 0.1 mi>N Lehigh for 2.5 mi .Pa 924 for 4.5 mi >Pa 339/Pa 924 for 0.7 mi > L on Rattling Run Rd for 1.5 mi >R on CatawissaCreek rd for 2.9 mi >R Pa 4033 for 1 mi>millers Rdfor .03 mi>end 61 millers rd
How does that look
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
How does that look

Well, the logic and distances look about right from my topo atlas.
Exit 124-PA61-PA924-PA339-SR4033-Millers Rd. (looks like Rattling Run Rd and Catawissa Creek Road are still PA339). Key is going to be making the right on "SR4033" in "Zion Grove" off of Catawissa Creek Rd/PA339. Not sure how that intersection is going to look in the dark. Hopefully your odometer has been corrected if you changed tire sizes and you can trust Yahoo's numbers.

If you're not here by Sunday - we'll alert Search and Rescue.

Just keep squirting Beezil,s bootleg beer into the fire and I will look for the Glow :roll:
Wayne

Back