• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shocks are you running?

Boris T

NAXJA Forum User
I have a "to-do" list for my 98 Classic to complete before I move and start grad school and one of the items is shocks. I am not planning a lift at this time (nor can I afford one) so I want to get shocks that have a decent ride and good handling. I am running stock size tires and the vehicle will be used for 500-600 mile road trips in the future.

Anyone have suggestions???

My friends have used KYB on passenger cars and pickups with good luck but I wonder about other options. Price is a concern too..... :banghead:

Travis :geek:

Bilsteins all the way, the best mod I've done to my XJ so far. They give it such a controlled ride with virually no body roll even when pushed hard in the corners, great steering response and they ride great on the hwy. They do have a firm ride, but it doesn't ride any rougher than the stock shocks that came off of it. I got mine for a little over $50 a piece after searching online retailers for the best price. Worth every penny.

bilsteins.....i bought 5100's for my cherokee (havent lifted it yet) but rode w/ a friend one time who had them........most comfy ride i've ever taken (cept when i'm flyin in a hawk!)

Bilsteins in back because they were used/cheap. RS9005s up front because they were used/cheap. :D

When I get new shocks I'm going Bilstein all the way around. Been a passenger in everything from stock to wildly modded with Bilsteins and they're the best ride, IMHO.

Just put Tenneco AirShocks on the back of mine (also Monroe MA765 and Napa MA765) with the stockers up front, the ride has improved considerably and the truck is quieter and less bouncy. Dad's been running RS5000's in the front and the same thing as me on the back of his '90 Larado (and had the same on his late base '88 4.0l) They give a good ride and handling even with more that 274K on the clock of that old work horse :roll: .

Back