• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC not working!

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys, I have beat my head against the wall with this one. I just plain old don't enough about this AC system to troubleshoot it right I guess. My manual doesn't have my year (1998) ac control diagram which doesn't help!

Last summer I had to replace the pulley/bearing on the AC compressor. No problem. AC worked fine before and after. Then toward the end of Summer the ac stopped working. No cool air at all. The new pulley came with a new coil for the compressor that I didn't install because I was being lazy. So of course I waited until it gets hot again to fix, thinking it was probably the coil. I replaced the coil (the old one looked pretty ragged) and still the compressor won't turn on when in AC mode!

The details:

All fuses check fine.
When I have the XJ running in AC mode I don't get any voltage at the connector for the compressor.
When I take out the little relay out of the box and put it back in, I hear it clicking 'on' so I know it works.

Could I just need a AC charge?

Thanks for the help!

Burley
Shelby, Ohio

Burley said:
Okay guys, I have beat my head against the wall with this one. I just plain old don't enough about this AC system to troubleshoot it right I guess. My manual doesn't have my year (1998) ac control diagram which doesn't help!

Last summer I had to replace the pulley/bearing on the AC compressor. No problem. AC worked fine before and after. Then toward the end of Summer the ac stopped working. No cool air at all. The new pulley came with a new coil for the compressor that I didn't install because I was being lazy. So of course I waited until it gets hot again to fix, thinking it was probably the coil. I replaced the coil (the old one looked pretty ragged) and still the compressor won't turn on when in AC mode!

The details:

All fuses check fine.
When I have the XJ running in AC mode I don't get any voltage at the connector for the compressor.
When I take out the little relay out of the box and put it back in, I hear it clicking 'on' so I know it works.

Could I just need a AC charge?

Thanks for the help!

Burley
Shelby, Ohio

CHeck the pressure: you can by an elcheapo tester or just get one with a small charge can (~$20). Then if you know if you got pressure or not you could move from there. Now if you leaked all your freon out, it'd be good to find out how/where before spending the $$ to charge it.

Funny, mine was recently fixed by my brother. It wasnt turning on at all either, so he took a peek at it. The little socket that plugs into the back of the compressor to some sort of sender was unplugged. He noticed a tab had broken off in it, probably durring the engine swap, so he hardwored the plug, ta-dah, works like new. So, if whatever that sensor is, if it's bad on yours that would cause it not to turn on. That was my problem, probably not a real common one..... :)

Back