• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get out that fuel pickup/filter thing in the tank?

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

this is the story. I have an 86 XJ which came with a 2,5 TBI and fourspeed manual, swapped in a 1993 4,0/AW4/NP231 from a ZJ. Took the fuelpump from a breaker 1990 4,0 XJ. The pump is now shot, bought a new one from AC Delco. That pump has totally different physical measurements, but I managed to put it in the tank. However, it won't fit the filter/pikcup line/whatever it is there in the bottom of the tank, and for the life of me I can't get it ut! It's a rubber thing that the tip of the stock pump fit into, but the Delco pump is fatter and comes with it's own filter. I put it in there outside the sucker, but if I have less than half full tank now it stalls when turning left. Very fun... so I need to know how I can get that thing out so I can put in the AC Delco filter? Does anyone know how it's attached? I've been pulling and jerking it, trying to slide it to eiter side etc, but no luck (can only get one hand in that hole at a time).

Back