• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More brake issues

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
I'm in the neighborhood of my wits end here. Maybe I'm missing something, or have over looked something else.

Originally I thought my master cylinder was leaking causing my spongy brakes, so I replaced it. Still the problem persists. I can bleed the brakes and build and hold pressure in the system. Where the engine is running the petal goes right to the floor. The fluid level drops the right amount when the petal is pushed though.

Here's what has been replaced so far:

Front calipers, front hoses (RE extended length), new master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, all the misc small parts in the drums.

That's almost everything replaces. It seems like a big air pocket somewhere in the system, but I've bleed the brakes about 6 times since the issue arose. Its a 96 XJ with ABS and a D44 with 10x2.5" drums which stopped the Jeep great prior to this.

Help, please.

--Matt

egon said:
I'm in the neighborhood of my wits end here. Maybe I'm missing something, or have over looked something else.

Originally I thought my master cylinder was leaking causing my spongy brakes, so I replaced it. Still the problem persists. I can bleed the brakes and build and hold pressure in the system. Where the engine is running the petal goes right to the floor. The fluid level drops the right amount when the petal is pushed though.

Here's what has been replaced so far:

Front calipers, front hoses (RE extended length), new master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, all the misc small parts in the drums.

That's almost everything replaces. It seems like a big air pocket somewhere in the system, but I've bleed the brakes about 6 times since the issue arose. Its a 96 XJ with ABS and a D44 with 10x2.5" drums which stopped the Jeep great prior to this.

Help, please.

--Matt

It is air trapped in the ABS block, best method is to vac bleed it or power bleed it, theres a high point in that block that is trapping the air. Did a ford aerostar van a few weeks ago, took 4 complete bleeds, almost 45 min, with the power bleeder to get all the air out.

Rich, enlighten me as to what a "power bleed" is.

Thanks.

--Matt

A power bleed is esentially a device that attaches to all 4 bleed points at the same time. A vac pump is turned on and bleeds the system unattended more or less, you need to keep an eye on brake fluid tank but thats about it. We had a heck of a time getting all the air out of that ford. The other one, one I plan on getting for the house, uses a pressurized tank that attaches to the resevoir and puts the system under pressure. The presurized tank has brake fluid in it and keeps the tank full as you bleed it. You situation is similar to the cooling system when you don't use a Tstat with the bleed hole, it's tough to get all the air out.

RichP said:
A power bleed is esentially a device that attaches to all 4 bleed points at the same time.

Where do I get it, how much!!! My brakes are doing a similar dance but the pedal doesn't go that far down. I know I need new calipers and I'll get them but I know "there's air in there" and I haven't been able to get it out.

It is mostly shops that have them, there is a kind of home version pressure bleeder that I have not tried yet but plan on buying, this is one of them I'm leaning towards. http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html
Need to wait now, sons TJ had a seized caliper last nite and I spent my 'disposable' on two new rotors, calipers and pads for it. Used my mity-vac handheld to bleed them and it worked OK but much more of that and I'll be able to open beer cans just by squeezing...

Ok kids, write this one down for the next time you put new calipers on. Check the part numbers, again. While your at it, look and make sure the bleeder screw is on top.

Yup , I managed to install my calipers.... backwards. They works for awhile like that because I filled the calipers with fluid by hand before I installed them to make it easier to bleed. Everything was good for about a month. Then I installed new brake hoses which allowed air into the system.

I'm dumb... check those calipers. :dunce:

--Matt

We just did m sons TJ the other nite when his driver side one froze, new rotors, calipers and pads. Bled with the mityvac. He says they are great now with no more wabble, guess one of his rotors was warped...

RichP said:
It is mostly shops that have them, there is a kind of home version pressure bleeder that I have not tried yet but plan on buying, this is one of them I'm leaning towards. http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html
Need to wait now, sons TJ had a seized caliper last nite and I spent my 'disposable' on two new rotors, calipers and pads for it. Used my mity-vac handheld to bleed them and it worked OK but much more of that and I'll be able to open beer cans just by squeezing...

Here's another company that's been around for awhile ... big price difference though.

http://www.phxsyss.com/

Back