• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 Quetion, Not what system to buy

Urban Redneck

NAXJA Forum User
Having played paintball for a long time, I know that CO2 eats rubber o-rings. What effects does it have on tires? Has anyone had any problems with their tires after prolonged use? Does it hold pressure well or do you have to refill with regular air after a while? :dunno:

From my understanding, the gas is inert, and that's what goes in the tires. I would think that if the liquid came in contact with and of the rubber, it might have an adverse effect on the rubber? Just making guesses.

Oh, or it could be that the freezingness of the air close to the regulator (on the paintballguns, or otherwise) might be hurting the rings?

this is all just guessing. I'm interested too since I just got a CO2 setup.

I've had no issues using CO2 and I've been using it for 3+ years. Seems to hold pressure fine.

Jes

Ahhhh. Now I understand where the stories about CO2 eatting rubber comes from.

I don't use CO2 for paintball but for R/C warship combat. The o-rings in our gun systems also wear out o-rings but I don't think it is a chemical breakdown. I think the o-rings wear out because of the repeated freeze-thaw cycles the co2 systems go through. When we fire the cannons continuously for a few minutes everything frosts up. Then when the boat moves on the system thaws. I think this wears the o-rings out - not the CO2 itself.

-Brian

I can't help but borrow a nice picture from the Australian Battle Grou:

ausbg_0403_syd_064.jpg

Urban Redneck said:
Having played paintball for a long time, I know that CO2 eats rubber o-rings. What effects does it have on tires? Has anyone had any problems with their tires after prolonged use? Does it hold pressure well or do you have to refill with regular air after a while? :dunno:

Yeah Co2 does not eat rubbor orings. Iahve been playing paintball for over 10 years. with ol skol tippmann carbine that has some rubber orings. and after too amny cses of paint to count it still has the original orings in it.

The orings freezing up would be a cause of failure or using teh improper oil is a more likely cause.

I ran a co2 system in my xj for 4 years and never put anything but co2 in the tires. Its not an issue

Thanks for all the help, guys. I run a CO2 system on my Shocker, only use Shocker oil and grease and go thorugh tank o-rings like they are going out of style. Now if someone could come up with a carbon fiber tank for on board air....

Why are you running CO2? Seems a Shocker would be better off with Nitro.

Do you at least have an anti-syphon tube in your tank? Oh, and dont do like all the people I saw and point the gun down while unscrewing the tank. The liquid settles at the bottom and if it's pointed down, the bottle will leak to the ring. Keep it pointed up if you can.

SouthernXJ said:
Why are you running CO2? Seems a Shocker would be better off with Nitro.

Do you at least have an anti-syphon tube in your tank? Oh, and dont do like all the people I saw and point the gun down while unscrewing the tank. The liquid settles at the bottom and if it's pointed down, the bottle will leak to the ring. Keep it pointed up if you can.

A Shocker doesn't like nitro, it's not as efficient. Yes, anti-sipion installed. Playing tourney paintball, throwing 800 rounds in a 5 minute game and never once had my gun freeze up. Can usually go 3 games between fills, only 1-2 with nitro.

Quote:"Now if someone would come up with a carbon fiber tank for onboard air." ....A carbon fiber nitrous tank would fill the bill...but they are kinda $$$$.
Actually, they have an aluminum bottle....thinner walled than normal with spun carbon fiber reinforcement...they are lighter than a normal bottle..you can get one from Jegs or Summit....I carry two 2.5# nitrous bottles filled with CO2 with me...good emergency "air"...you can also get a fixed pressure billet regulator...extremely dependable and ultra compact.

So....How many refills you getting on a bottle?
What tires do you run?
Have you ever fitted up an old 20oz. bottle to refill tires?
I was thinking about getting one of those remote bottle lines and fit
it with an air chuck for tire refills...
Don't use CO2 anymore when paintballing but I do have a few extra bottles just lying around....
Just wonder how many refills per bottle...
Rick

Back