• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys gas tank skid

akrazgpr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Ive got a chance to pick up an new Rustys Gas Tank Skid Plate 84-01 for pretty cheap. My Question is will it fit my 97 xj. The factory plates are for 96 down and 97 up,how can this one fit all years? Rustys website wasnt much help either. Anyone out there have this plate on a 97 - 01 .

Thanks AJ

They are year specific. 96 and older, 97 and newer. It won't work putting the 96 old on the 97 new, unless you like cutting and refabricating.

GottaBeJeep said:
They are year specific. 96 and older, 97 and newer. It won't work putting the 96 old on the 97 new, unless you like cutting and refabricating.

The factory gas tank skids are year-specific. Rusty's web site lists only one gas tank skid, and he doesn't mention that it fits or doesn't fit any range of years. I'd recommend confirming with him before buying, but it looks like it should work.

<Edit>Hmmm ...

Rusty's price is $219. Skid Row gets $220. They list one for '84-'96 and a different one for '97+. I wonder if Rusty is reselling Skid Row plates, and they are year-specific after all.

I think I'll retract the "It should work" part of my statement above, and go with "I'd recommend calling him to confirm."</Edit>

Last edited:
I think he makes his own. At least his skids aren't the same. In the order process there is info for what year you have. I would assume that they have 2 different ones but you never know with Rusty's. Call first like Eagle said. Juice

Unless Rusty screwed up my order just like everything else I've ordered from them, they only make one and it DOES NOT fit '97 or newer. Still sitting in my garage.

Back