• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Play in my UCA's

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
I am driving along and every now and then, over a minor bump or dip on the street and normal driving speeds 0-65 mph I feel and hear a "thunk" under my left foot resting on the floor. Damned if I could figure it out because I'd basically changed from rubber to poly CA bushings and adjusted out my Rusty's UCA/LCA to 19.5 lower and 17" upper. I am at 6" over stock running Rusty's front coils and rear leafs with a 1.5 shackle. I went underneath and just started trying to grab anything and see if it moved, etc. It seems that the UCAs have enough play in the threads so that I can pull down, get about 1/8" of movement and I can then smack it back up and I imagine that's what is going on as I'm driving and causing the "thunk". Any experience with this from anyone else? Do I just need to get over it? Suggestions to get rid of the play with a jam nut or something (Rusty's CAs don't come with them)? Thanks in advance....

P

Get a jam nut!Even with that you may find that it may loosen back up.Even with my johnny joints I flex so much that if eventually still binds causing the threads to break loose.I get that clunk when it loosens up,it did take some time to track it down the first time.

Last edited:
The typical "thunk" is bad UCA bushings, and those are mostly the axle bushings. You can test it by backing up slowly and tapping the brake, you can feel a definite "thunk" as you tap and let off on the brake. If that gets you a good thunk it's likely an UCA bushing. I don't know anything about Rusty's arms, so can't give any advice there. If they didn't come with jam nuts, are they supposed to articulate like a Tera arm? I didn't know Rusty's arms where that design.

RCP - I thought that might help to at least increase the amount of thread actually threaded into something, but have no idea where to get a jam nut that big with the right thread pitch. I'll call Rusty tomorrow and see if the arms are actually supposed ot ship with the arms, I doubt it though, I ordered that lowers about 6 months before the uppers.

Thanks Goatman...I'll try and post a pic of the arms to give you a visual of the arms, but no go on the bad bushing theory. I know that clunk :) and have daystar polys in all my CAs.

-P

Last edited:
xxxj-va said:

Thanks Goatman...I'll try and post a pic of the arms to give you a visual of the arms, but no go on the bad bushing theory. I know that clunk :) and have daystar polys in all my CAs.

-P

How about the axle end of the UCA......poly there too? That's the one that typically goes bad.

I forgot.....

That the real clunk came from the bushing popping out!!!!

RCP Phx said:

Does anyone has any idea what size of nut Rusty's arms thread is? I am not very familiar with nuts and bolts sizes, especially those ACME ones.

It sounds like a good idea to have a nut there, but I can't order these unless...

Thanks and rgds

Call Rusty and have him send you some jam nuts. He doesn't send them out with them but you need them because the thread generates play over weeks and months of use.

Had the same clunk, ordered the jam nuts and no clunking :D

XJoachim said:
Call Rusty and have him send you some jam nuts. He doesn't send them out with them but you need them because the thread generates play over weeks and months of use.

Had the same clunk, ordered the jam nuts and no clunking :D

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!! You mean that this guy has the proper nuts and does not send them out with the UCAs, unless you ask him for them? This guy is a real cheapo! I apologize for being so frustrated, but this has gone too far with Rusty.

When I ordered my lift, I told him that since I live in Athens, Greece, I wanted him to make sure that the package he send me, would include everything I might need for the lift to work on my XJ. I explained to him that going back and forth to him to get some small part, is too expensive for me, since shipping is not your average from state to state. I also told him that I didn't care if I pay some more US$, as long as I have everything that I should have to lift my truck. As if I had told him exactly the opposite.

I have received so many packages from him, more than I care to remember. One with the shackles and bushings, then another with the track bar end and mount (the tie-rod end I got with the trackbar he send me, went south before 6 months passed from the installation), then with his lower control arms, it was impossible to adjust caster to the proper specs, so I had to order adjustable upper control arms. Of course, every time something from the initial lift kit has to be replaced, or upgraded or changed or whatever, it is not Rusty who pays the labor to have it done, it is me.

I am really pissed of! With the money I've spend changing/improving/replacing his parts, I could have got the RE lift kit from day one, and avoid the frustration, the visits to my mechanic and also the stupid problems I had with my steering, because of his louzy track bar end.

Sorry I was carried over, but this has gone too far. A couple of nuts? How much do they cost? Why on earth he does not include them with his UCAs? Gee, I feel embarassed that this guy is of Greek origin.

Rgds

He tried to charge me 7 bucks apiece for those jam nuts that should have came with his UCA. Typical Rusty business practice:rolleyes:

pair8hd said:
He tried to charge me 7 bucks apiece for those jam nuts that should have came with his UCA. Typical Rusty business practice:rolleyes:

Before I ordered my lift from Rusty, I've heard a lot of bad things about his some of his products and especially his business practices. I just refused to believe them, and after I've spend some time with him on the phone (long distance from Greece), I had the impression that he understood what my needs were. I now, sincerely doubt it.

I am sorry because some of his products are good, but definitely I can't afford to do business with him any more.

Rgds

Here's another example of Rusty's quailty work...

standard.jpg

Looks like I won't be needing those jam nuts.

pair8hd said:
Here's another example of Rusty's quailty work...

Looks like I won't be needing those jam nuts.

THIS IS SERIOUS! I mean if the arm opened up like that, it is dangerous. What did Rusty have to say about it?

I've e-mailed him more than a week ago, asking for those nuts and some friction pads that broke away from my springs, still no word from him.

Rgds

Back