• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch trouble....

Chark

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
First of all....everything OK on "Groovy Green". I friend at work today came to me, knowing my XJ history with....quote "My daughter can't open the friggin' hatch on her 2001 XJ". The remote don't help and neither does the key. Any idea's? I know this isn't MOD tech, but figured I 'd be seen here. Thanks.:cool:

You may have lost the little plastic clips that hold the lock rod on the cylinder/ actuator

Mine was functioning fine but the alarm would go off every time I would open the jeep without manually unlocking the hatch (power lock actuator could not sense the position of the hatch lock)

Since the key isn't working I would guess it is the main lock rod not the power lock rod... but it may be a seized cylinder (thats the only way I can think of both methods failing...

Any how see if you can pop the access panel from inside and lay you eyes on the mechanism... HTH

Matt

I used to have a 99 that would not open from time to time, I can't provide you much help, I think it would just jamb from time to time. I would just keep yanking on it until it opened. Just so you know, your not the only one.

The hatch may be adjusted too tight for the latch to release. Tell him to try pressing in on the bottom of the hatch while lifting the handle. Or is the problem that it won't unlock? When using the remote or turning the key, can you hear the lock click?

That is weird. The same thing happened to me about a week ago. After fiddling with the handle for a little bit I was stumped so I said oh well. Then when my friend went to get the beer out of the back of my jeep it opened right up no problem. Sory I have no solution but like Eagle said pushing on the bottom of the hatch while lifting the handle could help. Later, Eric

I think you need to put a case of beer in the back, then have a friend open it from outside.....or just remove the interior panel and whack away at the locking mechanism.....

Lock the daughter and a case of beer inside, and let me fix it with my Snap-on SPB36 (3' prybar) I'll wear a Bill Clinton Mask & it'll be all OK

Once they get it sorted out...have em move to somewhere ya don't have to lock yur Junk, or invest in an American Bulldawg that lives in the jeep.

BTW painted those leafpacks today (what a fashion biatch I is) and the 44 is off to fabville tomorrow. DBl extry thanx Bro. Will wheel wid ya soon

I had that problem once.... but mines a 95 so i dont know if my fix is the cure....

for the record my hatch fix involed beer, sheet metal, and self taping screws...

mac 'my gawd i'm a billhilly' gyvr

Back