• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaybar woes

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
88 cheif, fr swaybar connect rests on spring? Squeaks loud. I just lifted 3 or more inches, and this didn't happen before. Also, it's centered on the spring as the fl is. I don't know why the bar would be further back on the fr, but it is. If anyone knows, please advise, I will post pics if necessary.

All parts seem to be straight. WTF?

ok, here are some pics that show the left and right. The left is clear, the right rests on the spring and squeaks.

IM000471.JPG

IM000469.JPG

whaddya think?

that would make sense, since i dont believe anything was bent, can this happen with a 3-4 inch lift?

Is your front axle centered under the chassis? If it is pulled towards the driver side, as it will with a lift unless you correct with an adjustable track bar or re-drilled hole, it'll take the sway bar with it, causing what you have shown here. Longer links will help in the vertical plane as previously mentioned.

the_cheif said:
ok, here are some pics that show the left and right. The left is clear, the right rests on the spring and squeaks.

whaddya think?
Same thing happened to me on my first lift (4"), easy fix with longer links. There are plenty of ideas on how to cheaply homebrew your own in the mod threads on this page. Good luck,
Buck :canada:

the_cheif said:
88 cheif, fr swaybar connect rests on spring? Squeaks loud. I just lifted 3 or more inches, and this didn't happen before. Also, it's centered on the spring as the fl is. I don't know why the bar would be further back on the fr, but it is. If anyone knows, please advise, I will post pics if necessary.

All parts seem to be straight. WTF?

You don't need no stinking sway bars. Actually they are nice, but I have learned to drive without them on my 8" lifted 91' xj with 35" mtrs. The sway bar link broke on mine so I have never reinstalled them.

steinjeep said:
You don't need no stinking sway bars. Actually they are nice, but I have learned to drive without them on my 8" lifted 91' xj with 35" mtrs. The sway bar link broke on mine so I have never reinstalled them.
Until the day that you swerve to miss a child chasing a ball into traffic while going only 30mph and roll your jeep totalling it....
Word of advice, don't remove your front sway bar, just get longer links, especially if you are running a high lift.
Buck :canada:

Same thing happened here at about 4.5" of lift. You can either put a drop on your swaybar mounts or swap out your endlinks for longer ones. I opted for longer/disconnect type endlinks.

Even if you put in longer links, something is still out of whack. You will just be disguising it. It looks to me like your spring has a bit of deflection. I bet if you swap your springs side to side, the other side would hit. Try this: jack up the problem side with a high lift, (to get the weight off the spring) and see if the spring pulls away from the SB. Then jack up the other side, (put more weight on the spring) and see if it moves the other way. If so the spring is not compressing properly.

logdog said:
Even if you put in longer links, something is still out of whack. You will just be disguising it. It looks to me like your spring has a bit of deflection. I bet if you swap your springs side to side, the other side would hit. Try this: jack up the problem side with a high lift, (to get the weight off the spring) and see if the spring pulls away from the SB. Then jack up the other side, (put more weight on the spring) and see if it moves the other way. If so the spring is not compressing properly.

Well the "bend" in the springs is caused by short control arms...... Anyways as everyone else suggested: put longer links in and see what happens. IIRC someone posted a while ago that the swaybar link shoulbe be at about 15* from vertical towards the front (I might be off on the number as I never was good with numbers)

Kejtar said:
Well the "bend" in the springs is caused by short control arms...... Anyways as everyone else suggested: put longer links in and see what happens. IIRC someone posted a while ago that the swaybar link shoulbe be at about 15* from vertical towards the front (I might be off on the number as I never was good with numbers)

15* is what JKS recommends with their adjustable disconnects. I also used the RE relocation brackets which move the frame mounts forward and down.

ACE said:
Same thing happened here at about 4.5" of lift. You can either put a drop on your swaybar mounts or swap out your endlinks for longer ones. I opted for longer/disconnect type endlinks.

Can anyone recommend the disco to get and where? I'll start with that.

Back