• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a tip for anyone with a shortbed MJ

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
if you have a shortbed (113" wb) MJ and are over 1000 miles from home and your driveshaft decides to drop the back on the ground at freeway speeds leaving you stranded on a sunday in a small town...

a rear driveshaft from a 70s Grand Wagoneer with the offset rear d44 works perfectly. it should even work with all different lift heights and tranny/diff combinations (assuming 4wd) since the driveshaft has a slip in it. you just need to use hose-clamps or zip-ties around the small part of the slip to keep the driveshaft from compressing too much which would let the slip-yoke fall out of the transfer case.

hpi_jeep said:
just curious how you found this out? stranded 1000miles from home?

great find!
you betcha! driving from Michigan to Nor. Cal. I blew a stainless brake line in Chicago (it had been rubbing on something). then made it to Wyoming and one of the caps on the u-joint decided to abandon ship, leaving the shaft dragging on the ground.

1012 miles from home, according to Mapquest. i couldnt' get the onld joints out of the Waggy shaft, so they caused some vibrations at different speeds, but yesterday I put some new Spicers in and it's got no vibrations now. I think I'll keep this shaft, and find and weld a new yoke on the old shaft and keep it for a spare.

Back