• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper backspacing for a 15x7 wheel?

climberjeep

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has a 3" and 31's. I have Pro Comp control arms, and when I turn the steering wheel all the way, the tires rub on the control arms. I have a set of stock wheels from a 2001 Wrangler on. Does anyone know what the backspacing on these wheels is, and what is the proper backspacing I should use so this will not happen any more? Thx.

The stock Jeep backspacing is 5.25". 4.5" is a good choice if switching wheels, however you may still get tire rub on the arms. To avoid this you can add washers behind the steering stop bolts on the axle.

I ran 15x7 with 4" BS on a set of 31" MT/Rs with 3" of lift with no rubbing. All tires are not created equal so yours may or may not rub. I suspect you will get very minimal rub, if any at all, with those wheels. I would say get the wheels. Like what was posted above, you may need to add a washer or 2 behind the steering stop bolts on your knuckles.

Bryan

Back