• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 xj 2.8 v6 no power

steveabn82

NAXJA Forum User
My 86 XJ with a 2.8 , recently purchased as a project . Has very little power. When climbing hills , I barely make it up. The clutch is not slipping. I have changed the cap ,rotor, cleaned the carb. Changed PCV and air filter. Any ideas ?????:) :) :rolleyes: :angel: NAXJA

i too am cursed with a GD 2.8. i made a cold air intake with a k&n for it and removed the cat, both of which made a definet improvement in power. i've also got a gm "hipo" cam that came in 3.4 cavalier z24's and stuff thats supposed to make a decent increase in power but i dont know because its not in yet. check out ebay, thats where i got mine. also, talk to crimsonride, he has a 2.8 and put cool exhaust on it. i plan on doing the same thing he did and i know he'll help you out getting the stuff you need. good luck.

check your compresion if that does not help!

Have you checked/replaced the spark plugs?

The original carb is junk...if you have a California model they have electronics that take away even more of the performance. Vacuum leaks will create havoc with that engine as well.

The 2.8 is a weak engine, but can be made better. The best thing you can do, most would agree, is to either install an EFI system or a Weber carb. You can go crazy with the engine, but in the end you will hit a wall at about 400hp and have spent as much as if you had simply bought a junkyard LS1.

XJguy

LS1 is an all aluminum 350 Corvette engine. an LT1 I belive has a cast block and aluminum heads..

350, Corvette, that's all anyone needs to know about 'em :D

I have an '85 2.8, and had the same prob. I put a set of pace setter headers on with a high flow cat,high flow muffler, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust all the way. I got a lot more power out of it. Next is the weber 34/36 dges carb. I think the carb is the best place to start. But if you want to spend $$ get a crate 3.1 or the 3.4 from GM. I hear it's a bolt for bolt swap and any parts you got for the 2.8 will go right on to the 3.1/3.4
Good Luck,
Webster :)

He said 86. Didn't the xj switch to TBI in 86? Or was that just the 4 popper?

hmm intresting. The 4 popper went TBI in 86 i thought, maybe it was 87. But they left the 2.8 carburated.

ummm I had the 2.8 that was 86... and it was carburated and I thought that it was the 87 that got the tbi......
Oh yeah... and mine was bone stock when I got it... along with a rod that wanted "out"

Btw... the lack of power...... the answer is simple: it has a decimal point in it even... it's 2.8 :) As I said I had one and it was a mistake to get it when I look back upon it :( :( I should have bought the 4.0 as the 2.8 had no power and crappy mileage..

Kejtar

Back