• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub Conversion

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Already searched and got a lot of info but here's the question.

2000 XJ w/ 4.0L/AW4/231/3.54 ratio

After installing the Warn Hub Conversion Kit was there a noticeable increase in fuel mileage?

My drivers side hub is groaning like a tire rubbing and the dealer wants $300; Quadratec wants $135 + shipping. I can get the conversion for $750 and free shipping. So that's only $600 more than one bearing, and only $475 moree than two. Current mileage is 16-17mpg city/hwy. Regular gasoline is $2.40 for 87 octane. This is a daily driver that goes about 24K miles per year. Doing the rough math and taking my best guess of a 5mpg increase after the conversion, the kit will pay for it's self in about one-year.

But will I get 5mpg? 4mpg? 3mpg? or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Last edited:
I’d guess you’d be doing well to get 2 more. But I don’t know what I’m basing that on. So it takes Two years to pay for its self; Still not bad.

I dunno if that bears much fruit from an MPG standpoint. I don't recall any hit going from a disco to a non disco in my MJ, or any plus with the front DS taken out (for vibes at highway speed) in my XJ.

<edit>I'd vote for a pair of aftermarket unithubs for around $300/pr, & turn or swap the rotors while its apart. Warn = some strength upgrade, but a lot of $$$<edit>

Last edited:
woody said:
I dunno if that bears much fruit from an MPG standpoint. I don't recall any hit going from a disco to a non disco in my MJ, or any plus with the front DS taken out (for vibes at highway speed) in my XJ.
With a disco axel everything still spins in the axel W/ warn hubs nothing spins but the hub.

With the hub conversion you are also saving long term wear on your axle u-joints and the transfercase chain and bearings. Every high mileage non-disco XJ I've got (3) has had a very loose transfer case chain, where as my disco-axled transfercase chains (2) are like new. I have found this while armed with new chains while installing SYE kits.

Boatwrench said:
My drivers side hub is groaning like a tire rubbing and the dealer wants $300; Quadratec wants $135 + shipping. I can get the conversion for $750 and free shipping. So that's only $600 more than one bearing, and only $475 moree than two. Current mileage is 16-17mpg city/hwy. Regular gasoline is $2.40 for 87 octane. This is a daily driver that goes about 24K miles per year. Doing the rough math and taking my best guess of a 5mpg increase after the conversion, the kit will pay for it's self in about one-year.
Tom

why don't you buy two, send me one and it'll pay for itself in two years lol

how is the pass. hub... if its not far behind... go for it.

I have the Warn kit but haven't installed it yet. I am going to guess you will be lucky to see 2mpg - really lucky.

Rustys' has the Warn kit for a LOT cheaper...

r@m

OK I ran some #s and I do see the savings potential (both in direct $ per mile fuel cost and decreased wear & tear on the spinning parts)

I see that the kit requires getting full cast rotors and a bit of machining. This is an expense but also an upgrade over the composite rotors...

24,000 is a lot of miles per year. Increasing MPG from 16 to 20 would save 300 gallons of gas. Even a 2 MPG improvement adds up to some $$$.

I wonder on your Y2K model only getting 16-17 though. :dunno:

Boatwrench...

I did the Warn conversion a couple of years ago on my 2000. Also I'm getting ready to do it on my daughter's 2001. So, I've got a couple of unit hubs if you want them. No $$ except shipping. Mine only had 27k miles on them. The Warn is nice as it eliminates all the front driveline vibration and wear and tear when disconnected. If you don't want to spend the $$ for Warn's then the offer is open. PM me!

I got two brand new hubs from Tapco International a few months ago for $185 shipped.

If you decide to go the OEM route it's a cost effective alternative.

hth.

I pulled my front drive shaft to reduce vibration on a long road trip last year. Seemed to net me about a mile per gallon. Got me to 16.5 to 17 with 4.56 gears, 6" lift and 32" BFG MTs running close to 70. Kansas is flat!

Any reduction in rolling resistance will get you getter fuel economy. Just a question as to whether you can cost justify whatever it is your doing. A lot of the time "because I want to" is the ultimate reason.

Dan,
Thanks for the offer, I'll weigh my options today and PM tonight. With the Warn conversion did you see an increase in mpg? You must like it if your putting it on the 2001.

Woody,
The low mpg bother's me also. Last year to Moab & back got 18mpg and that's about the best open road mpg I get. Disappointed because my 88 with a 5-spd and stock gearing got 21mpg. The mpg is worse when it's exchange fuel from base.

Tom

You might get a small amount of increase due to less parasitc drag. I don't drive mine except around town and my daughter just uses MY credit card for gas (she was in college) so you know she isn't checking!

Back