• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage triangulation

Paul S

NAXJA Member #103
Think it's time to add some diagonals to my 8-point cage. Some are obvious, some are not (to me anyway). There are 2 places in particular that I'm not sure if they add much to the overall integrity of the cage.
1) roof triangulation. Worth the the 12lbs it will add?
2) door spreaders, lower A pillar to mid B pillar. Worth the 14lbs they'll add?
Lastly, when placing a diagonal tube into a welded, right angle intersection, is it best to place it directly in the corner, or a couple inches off to one side?
Paul

Paul S said:
Think it's time to add some diagonals to my 8-point cage. Some are obvious, some are not (to me anyway). There are 2 places in particular that I'm not sure if they add much to the overall integrity of the cage.
1) roof triangulation. Worth the the 12lbs it will add?
2) door spreaders, lower A pillar to mid B pillar. Worth the 14lbs they'll add?
Lastly, when placing a diagonal tube into a welded, right angle intersection, is it best to place it directly in the corner, or a couple inches off to one side?
Paul

If you could only put triangulation is one place, then IMHO, I would definitly put an "X" or a "\" at the b-pillar location.

of course, triangulation in other areas is a plus.....

take a look at other designs on rigs you feel were built by people you would trust for input......otherwise, just use your best judgement.

In general triangulation & braces really don't need to be the same size or thickness of material. The rule of thumb I've always used is 1/2" less in diameter & one size down in thickness (120 wall down to 90 wall) This will save you a lot of weight yet still give plenty of structure to strengthen the cage. Being that the door bars could take a direct hit & directly protect you from rocks coming inside on your lap I would tend to over build those.

Matt

Matt

"X" or "/" at the B billar is the easy one, the rest are ?
Looking at Comp. jeeps they all run door spreaders, but I think this is more for protection from rocks coming in than structure. I don't see them adding much in an XJ, & I run half doors so I don't need protction form rocks, but if they add structure I would put them in.
I'll use 1.25" 120 wall on the spreaders since that's what I have laying around, I try not to worry too much about weight :rolleyes:
Paul

Paul S said:
"X" or "/" at the B billar is the easy one, the rest are ?
Looking at Comp. jeeps they all run door spreaders, but I think this is more for protection from rocks coming in than structure. I don't see them adding much in an XJ, & I run half doors so I don't need protction form rocks, but if they add structure I would put them in.
I'll use 1.25" 120 wall on the spreaders since that's what I have laying around, I try not to worry too much about weight :rolleyes:
Paul

yeah, I run the door spreaders ever since I saw one ton roll to the passenger side (with KY chris in the pass. seat) HARD into a tree stump or rock or whatever it was.....

the door spreader is the reason KY chris doesn't walk funny from a smashed hip bone......

If you are running doorless, I'd DEFINITLY run something there.....seen it first hand how valuable they are.

Back